EMT Seating

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
CPR seat? No way. Unless you have one of those City Fire Department Ambulances (you know, the ones you can comfortably stand up in), the cot is positioned right up AGAINST the CPR seat, leaving no room for your feet.

Yep, that's what we have. The center mounted stretcher leaves a decent amount of leg room between the stretcher and the CPR seat.

I gather from the posts that most of the people posting run in van-type ambulances. In my area, I have to admit that we're really spoiled. There is very little 911 EMS being done in vans around here. The vans are mostly relegated to non-emergency transport (for a number of reasons, most of which involve purchase and operating costs). NONE of the vollies use them (that's about 75-80% of our EMS). Most of the paid 911 services also run with boxes.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I've used the drivers seat to treat a patient once...(new EMT with a ton of questions and one very annoyed partner.)

Well I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask when it comes time for me. Maybe I will come show up at your bus and ask the questions.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Well I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask when it comes time for me. Maybe I will come show up at your bus and ask the questions.
oh it was a bad situation. he asked me things like..."what other vitals do i need?" stupid stuff that i think...i hope he was just nervous and forgot about...he didn't last long though.

NJN

The Young One
I like going anywhere, CPR seat is nice for when transporting because i can use the counter to place the clipboard on when not treating. It also provides a "safe distance" from the oh so many public intoxicants we pick up. The attendants seat is the most comfortable for just general riding and i spend 98% of my time in the back since i'm always the third man. Never had the experience of riding in a Vambulance, not looking forward to it.

EMT192229

Forum Probie
When working on a transport truck you should always sit on the bench seat so you are able to monitor you PT effectively,When on a Volunteer truck in an emergency situation when there is a Paramedic onboard you should sit on the seat directly across from the medic so you are able to monitor the pt and assist the Paramedic. Remeber when they hop on your truck they need to complete a lot of interventions prior to arriving at the hospital.All that needs to be completed in a short amount of time so that they are able to give there report.So while there doing all the stuff they need to accomplish you should be maintaining proper care and contact with your PT. I have seen a lot of EMT's forget the PT's there once the Paramedic hops on board. Always remember that you are working for the PT,With out them you have no job

Buzz

Forum Captain
The rig I was in today had two harnesses on the bench seats. We were only on standby at a drifting exhibition, but I'd have felt completely comfortable strapped in to the side of the rig in an impact.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I like going anywhere, CPR seat is nice for when transporting because i can use the counter to place the clipboard on when not treating. It also provides a "safe distance" from the oh so many public intoxicants we pick up. The attendants seat is the most comfortable for just general riding and i spend 98% of my time in the back since i'm always the third man. Never had the experience of riding in a Vambulance, not looking forward to it.

So you sit in back of the ambulance at all times? That must be boring.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What kind of harnesses? I always sat on the bench seat in my Type II rig, and was buckled in about 50% of the time. Even with a lap belt I knew that I'd be messed up in an accident. I had the biggest problem of scooting off the seat when my partner came to an abrupt stop.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Whooo nellie!!

Worked with a partner that would go detail crazy and ARMOR the bench seat!! Talk about sliding!! Needless to say I would hide the armor from him when he was on duty! ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The large, national company I work part-time for recently started getting 2 4-point harnesses standard for the bench seats.

The harnesses allow you to be restrained, but still give you some freedom of movement (leaning forward, etc). I think you can also stand to an extent. In the event of a crash, the attachments lock the same way seat belts do... they won't extend, but will still retract.

I've not gotten to play around with one yet, though.

Buzz

Forum Captain
What kind of harnesses? I always sat on the bench seat in my Type II rig, and was buckled in about 50% of the time. Even with a lap belt I knew that I'd be messed up in an accident. I had the biggest problem of scooting off the seat when my partner came to an abrupt stop.

Very much like this, but instead of being connected to an individual seat, there are two of them on one long bench seat.

sideload1_clip_image002_0000.jpg

NJN

The Young One
So you sit in back of the ambulance at all times? That must be boring.

Pretty much, unless the crew chief deems it necessary for me to sit in the front for my safety, since I'm a minor. As for boring, not really, you just can't see the scenery as much and have to yell up to the cab unless you have someone else in the back (clown bus). WAIT, your right, it is boring, well thats why Ipods and laptops were invented. You get used to it tho.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Pretty much, unless the crew chief deems it necessary for me to sit in the front for my safety, since I'm a minor. As for boring, not really, you just can't see the scenery as much and have to yell up to the cab unless you have someone else in the back (clown bus). WAIT, your right, it is boring, well thats why Ipods and laptops were invented. You get used to it tho.
I'm really interested in learning more about this new type of harness. Just a few years ago AMR created a concept vehicle with that type of harness, but I honestly never thought it would happen. I think this is a huge step forward in EMS safety. If anyone can provide more information, like manufacturer, etc, I'd really appreciate it.

NJN

The Young One
I'm really interested in learning more about this new type of harness. Just a few years ago AMR created a concept vehicle with that type of harness, but I honestly never thought it would happen. I think this is a huge step forward in EMS safety. If anyone can provide more information, like manufacturer, etc, I'd really appreciate it.

Let me clarify what i meant by being seated up front for my safety. Yesterday we transported a very unstable psych pt for a mental eval, he surrendered to us a 4" shiv, 2 razor blades, and 2 lighters. You bet i was riding up front. This same person received 200 stitches after being slashed in the neck 2-3 weeks back, during this attack his jugular was severed among other things.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
NJ, I was actually trying to quote Buzz but I clicked the wrong post :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well...MMiz... but this is one of the features that AMR seems to have taken off of the SCV (Safety Concept Vehicle) and put into practice. A few others: for the last several years, all their exterior vehicle graphics have been done with Reflexite (or similar), and almost every operation is using Road Safety.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
The rig I was in today had two harnesses on the bench seats. We were only on standby at a drifting exhibition, but I'd have felt completely comfortable strapped in to the side of the rig in an impact.

You'd be completely comfortable if you got in a wreck?!?!?!? Are you sure you aren't exaggerating just a leetle bit?:unsure:

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
At one of my services there is a captains chair (with 4 point belt) across from the bench. I tend to park myself there during trans. I can reach all my crap, I'm strapped in, and I can still see if granny is breathing.