EMT scope of practice?

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
We have the ability of to 'delegate' our scope to a lower level registered EMS provider. For example, a AEMT could delegate a EMTB to start an IV or insert a King LT, etc. Or a Paramedic could delegate a AEMT to administer narcotics or insert a chest tube, etc. This is under the complete discretion of the higher scope EMS provider and must be under DIRECT supervision and guidance. You can only delegate to a person one level lower than you. For example a Paramedic could delegate to a AEMT but not to a EMTB.

Some will do it some will not. It depends on your working relationship with your partner and if you prove you can perform and know your stuff. Afterall, it will also be their license on the line if you screw it up.

3risbcx.jpg

Inspir

Forum Crew Member
Maybe delegate is a poor choice of words. It more like a AEMT or Paramedic with an instructor endorsement can teach you hands on in a field setting.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Maybe delegate is a poor choice of words. It more like a AEMT or Paramedic with an instructor endorsement can teach you hands on in a field setting.
In most states, unless the lower level provider is a student on an internship rideout, that is not true either.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"Alright EMT partner, you remember that YouTube video I showed you on how to insert a chest tube this morning? Well go ahead and place one on this critical patient". No thanks

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
"Alright EMT partner, you remember that YouTube video I showed you on how to insert a chest tube this morning? Well go ahead and place one on this critical patient". No thanks

Don't laugh, but YouTube is a great place to review a procedure you haven't done in a long time (?ever) and you need to do it now.

But why wouldn't a medic be able to "teach" an EMT?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
From my experience, in the states I have worked, some of these camps are registered in the state data base as an EMS agency. They are often found along with other random non-transporting agencies such as on site occupational health EMT's and paramedics at construction sites or expo centers, ect. I worked on site at an Expo center and at a race track directly for them, not as a contractor for a transporting agency. Each of them had a numerical code which corresponded in the state data base as an official EMS agency. We also had uniforms with our own "agency" patches. Each place had their own protocols from the medical director in that county, and they often included dispensing many oral medications not found on an ambulance. If your not official (speaking from the states I have worked) you can not represent yourself or be employed as an EMT as far as I know. If in doubt you could try finding out who the medical director for the county the summer camp is in. Otherwise, there is a grey area where you could work as a camp counselor or possibly a first-aid person with out using your EMT certification, skills or identifying yourself in anyway as an EMT. However, I would look into the legalities of that in your state and its limitations.

Last edited: