Emt School

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Then why are there still so many idiots running around with EMT-B cards?

Aye :) Of course their are! There are idiots running around with MDs behind their name! There seem to be a LOT of ignorant or stupid EMTS, and I agree. My post was really referring to high school grads whos mom and dad force them into community college. I left high school a year early and finished coursework in a few months at an adult school and started college early because I hated the high school that much.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Because there is NO screening process for entering EMT school. Majority have failed in all other aspects from fries to being bored and having nothing to do. Sorry, but as well many are only obtaining it to apply for a Fire Department and could care less about EMS.

Personally, I believe it should be alike any other healthprofession and require an interview, aptitude and testing portion of reading and writing skills. There is no sense in even allowing persons to enter a course that is the start of a profession, if they cannot meet the minimum standards.

As well, you have a 6'th grade level book and testing over general junior high science. What do you expect?

But too many have the old attitude of if they have the money and the want.. let them in. Then don't gripe about it being the same as a first-aid class, nor the pay & benefits. You get for what you ask for and demand.

R/r 911
Agreed. No screening process. Lets interview applicants and not register students automatically.

emtjen15

Forum Probie
I have take EMT course twice, passing both but in different states. In VA I took the class at the Fire and Rescue Training center, we were all volunteer, I was the youngest at 16. I really enjoyed it, there were not a lot of FO's but many did not make it through or pass. My second class was in AZ. I took it at the community college, you had to be 18 and there were a lot of FO's and again many did not pass. I enjoyed the class in VA much more, the class was set up much better, and my friends were in the EMT book, :D.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
there are people silly people in every class i've found. just ignore them and do what you have to. remember your grades are most important :)

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
i would be happy to take any test and other stuff, i want to chase this career with my heart

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
In my class we had tests every week and if you didn't get a 70 or higher you had to retake it before the next test. If you passed then you got a 70 for your score. If you failed again you were kicked out of class. You had to have an 80 or higher average in order to pass the class. Started at 24 ended with 16.

mikie

Forum Lurker
In my class we had tests every week and if you didn't get a 70 or higher you had to retake it before the next test. If you passed then you got a 70 for your score. If you failed again you were kicked out of class. You had to have an 80 or higher average in order to pass the class. Started at 24 ended with 16.

Similar except we had to have a 75 to pass each test

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
^ Same here. Below 75 was failing, could retake once and only get a 75, failed again and you were out.

My instructors had a great way of discouraging FO-like behaviour. They were very strict, consistently reminded us that this class was like a job interview, and that rides were 110% a privilege NOT a right. They provided Supplemental Instruction to the class, offered loads of community service to get your name out in the EMT community, and met with every student often to discuss strengths and weaknesses. They could sniff out the bad seeds a mile a way. By the end, we had such a strong class!

Good luck, and don't worry about the FO's. Get to know some other good students in the class, and you'll do fine.

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
I just finished class here in San Diego. The first thing I noticed was that there werent very many if any screw offs out or 40 something students. Everybody that was there, wanted to be. Our class was a really good class though so it might have been that.

Norcaldude360

Forum Probie
I start my basic class next week on the 18th. Looking over the the course information, the enrollment is going to be 80 students for two instructors. :eek: This is going to be interesting.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I completed emtb at Hillsborough CC in May and popped an A. got a 99 on the final test, but I worked harder than I have ever worked in my life. I studied the text, did all of the projects in the workbook, and did all of the stuff offered on line. Probably spent at least 40 hours a week studying. No medical background - but celebrated my 72nd birthday midway through the school. Now have my NREMT and my florida number. If I can do it, anybody can. Just take it as serious as a heart attack, because a patient with a real one could await you at any point.

Yeah but you started the class at 18.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I took my EMT-B class through one of the local hospitals, and I think that made it a little better than going through the community colleges. We had to interview with the director of the program and one of the instructors before we were admitted to the program. Once the class started, no one really goofed off, most took it seriously, and most of of us passed. How many passed the state test I have no idea, but thankfully I did.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
My class is at a community college and we have 35 in the class.
There are quite a few FO's which really ticked me off 1st day. But luckily the instructor made squad leader and class leader so there was a chain of command. A lot of the FO's went off the radar pretty quick. I'm just happy the class is getting serious and i'm getting what i want.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My class is at a community college and we have 35 in the class.
There are quite a few FO's which really ticked me off 1st day. But luckily the instructor made squad leader and class leader so there was a chain of command. A lot of the FO's went off the radar pretty quick. I'm just happy the class is getting serious and i'm getting what i want.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm reading this correctly. Students were supposed to take arbitrary orders from other students?