Emt School

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
So I am starting emt school in 2 weeks. WHat can I expect out of emt training? Is it going to be like a high school class were half the class is full of FO's? I will be attending Palm Beach Community in lake worth Fl. i`ve heard a lot of good things about the school. Anyone on here attend there?

Greg

JPINFV

Gadfly
What is an FO in relation to high school?

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
:censored::censored::censored::censored: offs... People who dont care... People who are only there because they think the job is gonna be glorified.. You know the he said she said :censored::censored::censored::censored:...

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well you surely won't find many FO's if you take it to paramedic. I plan to take it very seriously, that being said, maybe some people don't.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Sure, you're gonna get a couple 18 year olds that are at the community college because mom or dad said they either go to college or get a job, and see the EMT class listing in the schedule and think it'd be cool. Unless there's some sort of screening process they'll show up in every class. Of course, they probably won't stick out the whole class.

scars87

Forum Probie
In our class, after a certain point, they kicked people out if there average wasn't a 70 or if they had too many points taken off their affective grade. We had I think 30 something actually start and probably 10 or so either failed or quit. The one that goofed off all the time is not here still.

PeteBlair

Forum Crew Member
I completed emtb at Hillsborough CC in May and popped an A. got a 99 on the final test, but I worked harder than I have ever worked in my life. I studied the text, did all of the projects in the workbook, and did all of the stuff offered on line. Probably spent at least 40 hours a week studying. No medical background - but celebrated my 72nd birthday midway through the school. Now have my NREMT and my florida number. If I can do it, anybody can. Just take it as serious as a heart attack, because a patient with a real one could await you at any point.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
In our class, after a certain point, they kicked people out if there average wasn't a 70 or if they had too many points taken off their affective grade. We had I think 30 something actually start and probably 10 or so either failed or quit. The one that goofed off all the time is not here still.

Yes this is the same at my class, gotta have a 75 or better though.

mikie

Forum Lurker
For my course, it meant getting to know some of the classmates more 'intimately.' Practicing with the KED (especially with women) and some other pieces of equipment got me pretty close with some of them, whom I've never met before.

Come with a positive attitude, study and be there to learn, you'll do great.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
For my course, it meant getting to know some of the classmates more 'intimately.' Practicing with the KED (especially with women) and some other pieces of equipment got me pretty close with some of them, whom I've never met before.

Come with a positive attitude, study and be there to learn, you'll do great.

What is a KED? How intimate?

mikie

Forum Lurker
What is a KED? How intimate?

The Kendrick Extrication Device...

We would all have to do the 'hands-on' skills (backboard, splint, traction, etc) and when strapping some of the females with the larger breasts in (KED), it would become kinda awkward because this wasn't a provider-patient scenario...they were classmates!

(no offense to the women...)

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
My wife didnt like reading about the girls with big boobs lol.. But yeah I want to be there to learn and make friends. I just havent been in a real class room in 8yrs... =) Thanks for advice guysB)

Hastings

Noobie
Basic class? Definitely plenty of FO's. Although I found that a lot with a lingering High School mentality were brought down to Earth pretty quickly by the instructors. By the time you have to have a lot of interaction with the other students, they will have lost the ego and everyone should be pretty comfortable with each other.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
you lose all the FO in the first day if not the first week when they find out how much they can make...to them i say "what did you expect to make with a 150 hour class?"

mikie

Forum Lurker
It seemed in my class that there were people who REALLY wanted to be there to learn (me) and those who were just there to get a license which they'll probably never use to its fullest. They probably won't even renew. I also noticed after a few classes that the roster was shrinking. That was fine with me, it meant more individual time with the instructors.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The "f**ck offs" (never heard that term before) never make it all the way and get a state card. It seems easy to high school kids to throw EMT on their schedule because it looks easy and sounds really cool. Most show up without their BCLS card and are booted right away (they will claim to their death bed they did not know about it as a pre req or didn't see it. Lingering high school attitude again). The ones that still show with the BLS card, buy their text book, uniform, boots, etc and most will fail their first tests. None will make it through skills testing, and you will never see one sit for the National Registry. To much time, money, and effort.

Even though its a 120-170 hour class, all of the LiveScan fingerprinting, backgrounds, medical exam and TB, uniforms, textbooks, BLS class, skills testing, and national testing usually strongly discourage idiots from making it all the way though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Even though its a 120-170 hour class, all of the LiveScan fingerprinting, backgrounds, medical exam and TB, uniforms, textbooks, BLS class, skills testing, and national testing usually strongly discourage idiots from making it all the way though.

Then why are there still so many idiots running around with EMT-B cards?

Hoofguy

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I don't know if I agree with some of the above...

There were still some FO's left at the end of class that eeek'd by. However most of them haven't taken the registry yet and the ones I know of that have, failed.

If they do make it through the program the NR will weed them out. My class started with 48 and ended with 18 of which about 6 were FO's. So far 11 of us have passed NR and I'm expected only about 1 more :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Then why are there still so many idiots running around with EMT-B cards?

Because there is NO screening process for entering EMT school. Majority have failed in all other aspects from fries to being bored and having nothing to do. Sorry, but as well many are only obtaining it to apply for a Fire Department and could care less about EMS.

Personally, I believe it should be alike any other healthprofession and require an interview, aptitude and testing portion of reading and writing skills. There is no sense in even allowing persons to enter a course that is the start of a profession, if they cannot meet the minimum standards.

As well, you have a 6'th grade level book and testing over general junior high science. What do you expect?

But too many have the old attitude of if they have the money and the want.. let them in. Then don't gripe about it being the same as a first-aid class, nor the pay & benefits. You get for what you ask for and demand.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: