EMT Reciprocity and Applying for licensure

BradshawOutlaw

Forum Ride Along
I'm a new student to EMS and taking my EMT-B course through local EMS in South Carolina. I've been a little confused about reciprocity and the process of passing the National Registry and applying for a license. I've been thinking about moving soon (within the next couple years) out west and am wondering how this will work now that I've started my schooling here in SC. Does passing the NR allow you to apply for a license in any state that follows the National Registry? Is it possible (or even reasonable) to try moving after taking the National Registry to work in another state?

Thanks for the help guys.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Does passing the NR allow you to apply for a license in any state that follows the National Registry? Is it possible (or even reasonable) to try moving after taking the National Registry to work in another state?

1) Based on my brief review, states that require NR for initial certification will take your NREMT and give you a license for the usual duration. Some states (NY) may request that you take and pass a refresher if you are only coming in with NR and no state license.

2) Sure, but you should probably have a job lined up first...