EMT-P to PA-C

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
At what point is it simply best to go to med school?

When you decide that you want decent compensation for being a health care provider and you accept the fact that student loans are a necessary evil.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No problem, but just be very aware physician groups and many state boards are pushing towards master degree entry level. I just would hate to hear one having to return to school in just a few years to be able to maintain a position.

As I said, I was in a P.A. program and quite aware of the political arena that is going on. They are pushing for more professional standards, much more than we are in EMS, understandably so.

I highly suggest anyone seeking any PA, medical etc. school to be sure to check their passing average on the boards as well. Not their employment rates, etc.. but the pass rate the 1'st time... I was shocked by many when I first applied at some. This is very important when one graduates, they would like to get a job to pay off those student loans.. * as most schools will not allow you to work, during your second year due to clinical demands.

Good luck to all !

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Why did you leave PA school for NP instead rid?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
OP
OP
X

xswatmedic

Forum Ride Along
Sorry, been away

I am sorry to have started this thread and not be involved. I have never done this before, monitored it for a while and kinda thought that it had died out.

The PA profession is flourishing. It is no better and certainly not worse than NP. The only differences between the two professions are legal. Functionally we are the same. If you are considering practicing medicine and you are not an RN, check out PA Programs. If you already have an RN consider going into an NP program. Better still if you are an RN consider a program that will allow you to certify in both professions, such as Stanford or UC Davis.

As far as masters degrees versus non-degreed certification programs are concerned, consider the following; I got into Stanford's PA program with an associates degree, the proper science courses and street experience as a medic. I finished at the top of my class, passed in the top 7% in the country on my boards and finished with... an associates degree and a PA-C.

Today I practice MD level medicine, often in the clinic alone and enjoy a six figure income, four day work week, and NO call. I am currently training an NP with a Masters degree (could have easily been a PA with a masters, but I chose this NP because of his background... not his academic degree). My objective is to get him up to speed (seeing patients) and together we will work side by side doing much the same work.

What does all of this mean? Only that "you can do it too!" And well you should. If you are a veteran medic you deserve it. I am not interested in papers, degrees and academics. I am interested in clinical medicine. I posted here because I am interested in speaking to anyone out there who is working hard, maybe doesn't have degree, and feels like there is nowhere else to go in medicine. Not so.

All that being said, if you already have a degree, much better still. I don't want anyone who does the day to day work of prehospital medicine to sell themselves short however because their not an RN or don't have a degree.

Good Luck to you all!

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
great post xswatmedic, you're a real inspiration. I can't believe you got into Stanford's PA program with only an associates degree, thats amazing. What other experiences/education were you able to put on your application? I would love to know some specifics so I can get a feel for the caliber of applicant they are looking for.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, did you know someone important that "put in a good word for you" or hold a high leadership position while in ems? How many years ems experience did you have before you applied? I'm asking all these questions because I'm curious what convinced them to accept you to PA school. I think the average paramedic with an associate degree and "the proper science courses" doesn't have a very good chance of being accepted into a PA program.

OP
OP
X

xswatmedic

Forum Ride Along
EMS is where it's at!

Guardian,

Thank you for your kind words. I have a strange background and I think it actually helped. I had worked for about 4 years as a medic in southern Calif., lost my mind (just kidding) and went to LAPD (86-96). I actually loved the job but had gone through one marriage, had lived through some other less than pleasant experiences and went back into EMS. After about four more years, and while teaching in a paramedic program I learned about the PA Profession. I went to www.aapa.org and found a book that listed all the programs and their admission requirements. I got back into school, worked hard to knock down the prereq's and applied. I should also note that I bought and used a text titled: Getting Into the PA School of Your Choice, by Andrew Rodican and followed it's guidance.

Once I got my acceptance call at Stanford, I was invited to an orientation meeting. After the meeting my wife and I asked ourselves "how in the hell are we going to pay for this!" Housing is very expensive, the program itself is relatively inexpensive, suprisingly. At any rate, there is a section in Rodican's book that listed scholarships, I applied to everyone I could, and got the granddaddy; NHSC = full ride with a stipend. I finished the program and gave the government two years' service (making about 62k while doing so) as "payback" for my scholarship... I took care of migrant field workers and their families here in Central Calif. It was awesome.

EMS is an awesome place to get great experience! In my life as a student and teacher I have met many pre-med students who have taken EMT classes for the express purpose of looking better on their interview for med school. These smart undergrads recognize what too many of us in EMS don't; the work we (you) do is important for the community and an awesome builder of great clinicians.

Weather you decide on NP, PA, MD, DO doesn't matter, you are very prepared because of your experience. I honestly beleive in my heart you deserve it. The one thing I hated/hate about EMS is that it's practitioners will never get compensated for what their worth.

Sorry for the long wind, and multiple spelling errors... kinda compressed for time!

Joe H

firecoins

IFT Puppet
whats a DO?

OP
OP
X

xswatmedic

Forum Ride Along
DO = Doctor of Osteopathy, or Osteopath, as opposed to and Alopath or MD. Osteopaths endure the same core curriculum of an MD program and add OMT = Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy, muskuloskelatal manipulation for purposes of treatment.

DO's take the same USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam) 1-3 that MD's do before graduating and moving on to a residency program. There are several programs throughout the nation now and many of them have PA programs associated with as do several MD programs. I am certain that you will see DO's in just about every specialty in medicine now. I have worked with several in the ED and have seen others in many other practices.

HouseMDP

Forum Ride Along
Is this Fourm still active

I am a 10 year ca-EMT-P wanting to make the move to PA but need help and guidance. Is there anyone out here that can help with advise

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I am certain that you will see DO's in just about every specialty in medicine now. I have worked with several in the ED and have seen others in many other practices.

Ditto. I see DO's all the time at work at the University of Michigan Med Center. Actually some of the med school faculty at U of M are DO's.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Holy thread resurrection batman! :cool:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am a 10 year ca-EMT-P wanting to make the move to PA but need help and guidance. Is there anyone out here that can help with advise

find out where you want to go to school, find their entrence requiments and take the pre reqs. Do well at them.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
firecoins, did you peruse that PA program from 6 years ago when this was posted?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

firecoins

IFT Puppet
And how are those math classes going for you?

;)

Not a problem right now. Bigger problems exist in scheduling and life issues.