EMT Out of State to Colorado

dbitt54

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been looking about moving to Colorado. I got my NREMT and State license here in Nebraska, but I hear getting a license in Colorado is tricky? Anyone have any info on if its possible or what I would have to do to get an EMS job in Colorado. Would be the big factor in whether I really do move or not.

I did it from NM. Having your NREMT is a step easier than I had to go through. It's actually really easy. The longest step is waiting for CBI/FBI to do your fingerprint background check. It can take up to 6 weeks. You also need to get a background check done through your state agency (I had to use NMSP) saying any felonies or a form notarized and signed saying no record if you have no history.
Once the state has all of that, they will process your application for certification. With your NREMT-B it's a direct recert. But getting a job in CO w/out the IV certification or EKG certification (not mandated by state, but taught at most training insitutions in the state from what I was told. I was NREMT-I/85 certified as a CO EMT-B so I didn't need to worry about those.) will be rather difficult.

Thank you. Do you know how long those two certification classes are? I would love to go through them but I suppose I have to go to Colorado to take both.

Honestly I have no idea. I never even looked into them. I was considered having them by default by the service I was working for. Best I can tell you is ask around at the various training institutions...

Both classes are about 2 weeks long, a couple hours a day. I took them, passed them, then moved back to NV. Great use of my fiscal resources I must say.

The IV class was easy for me, ECG not so much, but it isn't rocket science either.

Back