EMT or Athletic Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
And with that, I'm going to nail this necropost down so that it doesn't rise again unless appropriately summoned from the dead.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If it is an emergency, then AT steps back once 911 crew arrives. Period. Is collaboration important...yes! Bottom line though is ATs don’t administer IV fluids for dehydration, glucagon or D50W for low blood sugar, intubate for airway, inject morphine for pain, and ATs don’t have a clue to local EMSA protocols on which hospitals accept concussions as Nuevo receiving centers. ATs are awesome at identifying which anatomical structure is possibly injured and a treatment such as ice, compression, elevation, Etc. and rehab, but not the emergency life procedures that medics employ and yes...it pisses ATs off. Once at the hospital, the doctors simply want to stabilize a patient...if patella is dislocated or a sprain determined to be in the ankle then all is well. The paramedics make sure the patient survives and knows local EMS protocols...not AT. Bottom line as a parent/patient/athlete...save my life if it’s that bad...MEDIC!!!
Well uh, no.

Things we did in the training room while I was in college: started IVs and gave fluids. Gave PO opiates and antibiotics (among others) on standing orders from team physician. Developed a plan for a single hospital and its neurology department as the receiving hospital for all athletes needing further neuro treatment. Also I am not sure there is any ED out there that cannot evaluate a concussion.

Guess you gotta bone to pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.