EMT Job interviews

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Is interviewing for an EMT job any different than any other job? Let's say for example someone is coming straight out of school and into the job market, how would they approach marketing themselves? I'm guessing gpa in their EMT course and any past experiences? I sort of lost, anything would help...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by DonQ@Nov 13 2004, 03:52 AM
Is interviewing for an EMT job any different than any other job? Let's say for example someone is coming straight out of school and into the job market, how would they approach marketing themselves? I'm guessing gpa in their EMT course and any past experiences? I sort of lost, anything would help...
Great question! I interviewed for an EMT-Basic job two years after completing my EMT-B program. This was my first experience in EMS.

I think the job interview was just like most others I've had. I got asked a few "What would you do" type questions related to EMS, but they were more character questions than anything else.

Maybe others can offer some more insight, but I found my interview with a private EMS company to be similar to most others I've had.

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
My interview consisted of going in and "riding" for the day. It started off with working a code on a naked man, my boss said he was impressed that it didn't phase me that the man was in his birhtday suit. I never hesitated I just went ot work on him as I would any dressed pt.. I got the job I guess because nothing surprises me or shocks me, I am able to adapt to any given situation at any time, whether it is some one shooting at us or some one puking on me, I just don't get excited, it does no good for the situation or the pt or yourself or your partner, you have to be calm and collected at all times no matter what is happening around you. That was the only interview I have ever had because I have been with this service my whole EMS career. Sorry I couldn't offer any thing else, one guy did tell me that one place gave him a situation where his Medic was about to give the wrong drug and wanted to know what he would do and what the correct drug was for the situation. I guess all places have their own way.