EMT-Intermediate Book Question

Rightroad

Forum Probie
Hello i start Intermediate school this coming January. I have already bought the book we are using ( Nancy Caroline's Emergency care in the streets). I am trying to get a head start on the class and was wondering what chapters i should go over in the book listed above? I appreciate any advice!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Drugs, drugs, drugs.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Drugs, drugs, drugs.

I disagree with this. I85 EMT-Is have a very short list of drugs they are cleared to use in most cases. You don't really need to read your book ahead of time, you can read each chapter before your classes. What would be more beneficial is to make sure you have a good base education in anatomy and physiology. Your class will cover all necessary physiology, and you will be required to memorize the drugs you will be permitted to give.

OP
OP
R

Rightroad

Forum Probie
Thank you for your input. I am on chapter 6 in my book posted above. I was just wondering what chapters I should cover.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I disagree with this. I85 EMT-Is have a very short list of drugs they are cleared to use in most cases. You don't really need to read your book ahead of time, you can read each chapter before your classes. What would be more beneficial is to make sure you have a good base education in anatomy and physiology. Your class will cover all necessary physiology, and you will be required to memorize the drugs you will be permitted to give.

I wanna say I was tested on 13 or so meds for my I/85 class... nothing compared to the 100 or so for medic but still something that would be beneficial.

An Intermediate class provides crap for physiology, no offense.

I will agree with you that you don't need to read before hand though.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I had a good intermediate instructor, and I will pass on the advice he gave us... when you get to the intermediate level of care and higher everything you do needs to be based on a good solid assesment.

The different respiratory illnesses are all similar, but have their own differences and the way you treat them can be different. Focus on the assesment chapters. Just my opinion. I took an I99 class but I dont think the drugs were much harder.

If you get that done, study the cardiology sections.