EMT Instructor Trouble

Kaitlyn

Forum Ride Along
I am currently enrolled in an EMT class at Moutainland Applied Technology College in Utah. My course instructor as been an EMTI for 3 years and has NEVER worked as an EMT. Much of our class time is spent correcting our work book or viewing power point presentations. She frenquently goes off track to talk about her family and her daughters hair cutting career. All of her stories from the front lines so to speak are second hand, like "A guy i know who was on this call..." or "My friend who went to this call told me...". Today we were learnign vitals and she taught the class the incorrect way to take a blood pressure. A friend of mine started his EMT class at the same time as me through a different program. His class is far more efficient and ahead of mine. The quality of eduaction I am getting from this insructor worries me. How can someone who has never worked in the field teach others how? Is there anything I can do to improve my class? I paid for it and I cannot drop the class. I need the certification. However what can be done about the course insructor? Suggestions please!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. Just because his EMT mills is ahead of yours doesn't mean he's getting it any better.
2. Yes someone with three years experience can be a good instructor if they have a good curriculum and teaching skills. Sometimes the old dinosaurs and their war stories get in the way. (See avatar at left).
3. Oops, teacher's bad. Did the teacher recognize her goof and correct it? Is that happening often?
4. Demand your money back. Start a petition for your money back. Complain to the state department in charge of adult education. Go to a real school and not a tech school.CALL A NEWSPAPER.

Last edited by a moderator:

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
I am currently enrolled in an EMT class at Moutainland Applied Technology College in Utah. My course instructor as been an EMTI for 3 years and has NEVER worked as an EMT. Much of our class time is spent correcting our work book or viewing power point presentations. She frenquently goes off track to talk about her family and her daughters hair cutting career. All of her stories from the front lines so to speak are second hand, like "A guy i know who was on this call..." or "My friend who went to this call told me...". Today we were learnign vitals and she taught the class the incorrect way to take a blood pressure. A friend of mine started his EMT class at the same time as me through a different program. His class is far more efficient and ahead of mine. The quality of eduaction I am getting from this insructor worries me. How can someone who has never worked in the field teach others how? Is there anything I can do to improve my class? I paid for it and I cannot drop the class. I need the certification. However what can be done about the course insructor? Suggestions please!

First I wouldn't create your username as your first name then post what college and class you attend, because if said teacher is reading it can get awkward.

There has to be someone higher up you can address your concerns too, as there is not much else you can really do.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like you go to a pretty lousy EMT school. Might want to have a talk with the director. If that doesn't work then keep the following in mind- you don't learn to be an EMT until you've worked in the field for a few years.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sounds like you should have done some more homework about the program you chose to enter.

You probably got a student handbook detailing how to handle academic complaints or something similar as you are in a trade school. Talk to your advisor or the EMS chair to voice your concerns. You are paying for a service. If you feel you are not getting that service you should let it be known. With EMT you get from it what you put into it. Just because someone has never worked in EMS doesn't mean they are not qualified to teach lab and didactic.

Good luck with your program

How did she tell you to do a BP?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You do not have to have an instructor who was a field EMT to learn how to be a field EMT.

Let's break it down...

The EMT-B is a simple set of 10 skills that you will be tested on...
http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/psychomotor_exam_emt.asp

And a computer based test that will assess your baseline knowledge of the material.
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/downloads/NREMT Candidate web 6.2.09.pdf

It's not difficult to master the skills through practice and use study aids (flashcards, study groups) to gain a decent knowledge of the DOT objectives that you'll find at the beginning of every chapter in your book.

You may not like the instructor, but she is just the conduit to get the info to you. If it's not getting there, take it upon yourself to learn it. EMT class is not like college where a prof may place surprise info, only obtained in his lectures, on the final exam. If it's in the objectives in your book, you will get tested on it.
War stories, personal musings and lack of field experience… none of this will have any bearing on YOUR success in the class.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
My course instructor as been an EMTI for 3 years and has NEVER worked as an EMT.

This is probably less than ideal, and highlights why you should investigate any potential educational program thoroughly before applying.

That being said, it's not a total disaster, as long as she's willing to acknowledge the limits of her personal experience, and turn to someone who has had direct experience to answer any questions she can't.

Much of our class time is spent correcting our work book or viewing power point presentations.

To be honest, most of the lectures I've had in EMT school, medic school, university have been with powerpoint. It's a useful tool when used well. And when it's not used well, well, you'll know :)

Correcting the workbook is a reasonable use of time. Although it would be better if you're just focusing on any areas of controversy or disagreement. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the instructional staff to actual mark the tests outside of class time. But you get what you pay for.

She frenquently goes off track to talk about her family and her daughters hair cutting career.

Well that's a problem. You've paid money to learn about something else. Have you talked to her and addressed this? What was her response?

All of her stories from the front lines so to speak are second hand, like "A guy i know who was on this call..." or "My friend who went to this call told me...".

That's ok.

The major benefit from hearing about people's past experience is learning about when other people went wrong, made mistakes and screwed up, so you can try and avoid having the same thing happen to you. Unfortunately these are rarely the stories people tell.

Most people tell stories that make themselves look good, but have little of no instructional value. Hopefully when you get to medic school, there should be a lot more discussion about research papers, and less personal reminiscence.

Today we were learnign vitals and she taught the class the incorrect way to take a blood pressure.

This is a concern. How did she tell you how to "do it wrong?".

A friend of mine started his EMT class at the same time as me through a different program. His class is far more efficient and ahead of mine.

Why would you expect a different class at a different program to be delivered at the same rate as your's? Wouldn't you expect the opposite, that unless the two programs actively collaborate, there's going to be one group moving through the material more quickly.

Also, just because your friend's group is "ahead", it doesn't mean they've necessarily been taught properly. Then again, maybe your instructor just isn't that great.

The quality of eduaction I am getting from this insructor worries me. How can someone who has never worked in the field teach others how?

Maybe you should be worried. It sounds like you need to talk to them about their use of class time to discuss her family's personal life.

If they're not responsive you can go talk to their boss. Just bear in mind that EMS is often a small field, and hiring for a new EMT is often very competitive. It's easy to develop a bad reputation before you've even stepped onto the ambulance.

If you don't think that's going to get resolved, you can always try and see if they'll refund your registration, and go find another course.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I am currently enrolled in an EMT class at Moutainland Applied Technology College in Utah. My course instructor as been an EMTI for 3 years and has NEVER worked as an EMT.

Wow, all professors/Instructors at my school are required to have a masters degree at minimum. Amazing someone with a simple background as you have described is allowed to teach :huh:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Chip

Forum Ride Along
You can make it!

I am currently enrolled in an EMT class at XYZ College in Utah. My course instructor as been an EMT-I for 3 years and has NEVER worked as an EMT. Much of our class time is spent correcting our work book or viewing power point presentations. She frequently goes off track to talk about her family and her daughters hair cutting career. All of her stories from the front lines so to speak are second hand, like "A guy i know who was on this call..." or "My friend who went to this call told me...". Today we were learning vitals and she taught the class the incorrect way to take a blood pressure. A friend of mine started his EMT class at the same time as me through a different program. His class is far more efficient and ahead of mine. The quality of education I am getting from this instructor worries me. How can someone who has never worked in the field teach others how? Is there anything I can do to improve my class? I paid for it and I cannot drop the class. I need the certification. However what can be done about the course instructor? Suggestions please!

1. Focus on passing the class & then the National Registry. Your textbook (& possibly accompanying DVD or online resources) will cover everything you need. As already mentioned, the Skill Sheets are available online and even if she's never done it, yes, she CAN teach you what you need to know... a lot of the knowledge is just that, knowledge.

2. You picked up that she was teaching BP the wrong way... pay close attention to your book & if they conflict, go with what the book says. If she had field experience, I'd say it's a toss-up. Knowing she doesn't, trust the book.

3. ASK for additional skills time. When a skill is presented on the PowerPoint, ask if you can practice it. TELL HER you're not comfortable with some of the skills/equipment, and see if she'll include more hands-on opportunities. It's easy for instructors to get focused on explaining the lecture material to ensure students pass the written tests & forget that the skills part is also essential. (This may be especially true for her since she hasn't had to use the skills in real life; she HAS had to use the knowledge component [to teach y'all].)

4. Not your fault you're in a bad program. Sometimes you never know who your instructor will be until you're actually in the class. And don't worry about the other program being ahead of yours... as already mentioned, different ones go in different orders/ at different rates.

5. Be respectful, but MAKE SURE you (and any other classmate who feels the same way) write a letter to the program coordinator clearly explaining your concerns. The fact that she doesn't have much/any field experience is less of a concern than the fact that skills aren't taught (I infer that based on your statement that most time is spent on PowerPoint/ workbook) and that she spends lecture time discussing personal matters. The whole class can verbally complain as much as possible, but the school really can't/won't do anything unless it's in writing.

6. As far as being a good EMT... Ask lots of questions when doing your clinicals. Schedule extra clinicals if you have that option. Find a few EMT/medic friends that you can ask questions.

7. No matter how bad the program sucks, YOU CAN DO IT! There are online skills where you work independently, then they test you & verify your competence... and people graduate from these programs successfully. Good luck! :)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Gonna say this as blunt as possible. The stuff in an EMT class can honestly be learned for the most part from a textbook and applying yourself. Its nice to have a good instructor but war stories and experiences are just that, stories. Most hands on skills are practiced and perfected in the field, not in the classroom.

If you know something to be wrong, do yourself the favor and avoid confrontation. Just fix it for yourself.

Every EMT and Paramedic class is all about what YOU want to get out of it. There is simply too much information for the job of teaching it all to you to rest on your instructors shoulders. There is a reason medschool is 8 years, and thats for a specialty, it would take you 20 years to learn every field of medicine and you still wouldn't know it all. You aren't learning much in a few months of EMT class two nights a week.

If you really wanna ace the class, pick up a paramedic textbook and read that instead of your EMT book. Knowledge is power.

Instead of complaining that you don't like your instructor, use the time to make yourself better than the instructor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Gonna say this as blunt as possible. The stuff in an EMT class can honestly be learned for the most part from a textbook and applying yourself. Its nice to have a good instructor but war stories and experiences are just that, stories. Most hands on skills are practiced and perfected in the field, not in the classroom.

If you know something to be wrong, do yourself the favor and avoid confrontation. Just fix it for yourself.

Every EMT and Paramedic class is all about what YOU want to get out of it. There is simply too much information for the job of teaching it all to you to rest on your instructors shoulders. There is a reason medschool is 8 years, and thats for a specialty, it would take you 20 years to learn every field of medicine and you still wouldn't know it all. You aren't learning much in a few months of EMT class two nights a week.

If you really wanna ace the class, pick up a paramedic textbook and read that instead of your EMT book. Knowledge is power.

Instead of complaining that you don't like your instructor, use the time to make yourself better than the instructor.

I think this is good advice.

I would just add that you must use your EMT text as well because as you advance in medicine what is "wrong" or very simple at a lower level may be an acceptable practice or more accurately described.(making the basic text wrong) That could come back to haunt you on a test.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
I'm curious if you have a split program like some schools. Is the person teaching your lecture portion also teaching the lab (skills) portion or does the school have seperate skills folks?

Lecture is important but as others have pointed out good reading and study habits can overcome death by powerpoint and a poor lecture style. It is harder however to gain good skills mastery without a lab proctor that understands the skills you need to perfrom and the way the skills exams will be done.

There are numerous resources for extra skills practice including DVD, on line, and local agencies. I would highly suggest you use any or all of these. Get the skill sheets and read them until your eyes bleed, memorize the order they want things done in and practice practice practice.

EMT basic is not rocket science but it can seem overwhelming. Don't let a "marginal" teacher spoil your learning. Take the bull bt the horns and use the tools you have to enhance what she gives you. On a final note do as was suggested put this in writing to the program director, chairperson or Dean. If it is not in writing it can't be acted upon.

Good luck to you in your class and in your future in a great field.

Well said.....