EMT for hire at hockey tournaments, any legalities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfd229

Forum Probie
I am wanting to start a business that provides EMT's at hockey tournaments this winter. I am wondering what legalities are involved. I would hire EMT's as independent contractors, but from a business standpoint, what do I need? I'm concerned mostly about licensing. Do I need to be licensed by the state or need a medical director or anything? I would carry liability insurance. I'm just not sure what needs to be done to be protected and operating legally.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I am wanting to start a business that provides EMT's at hockey tournaments this winter. I am wondering what legalities are involved. I would hire EMT's as independent contractors, but from a business standpoint, what do I need? I'm concerned mostly about licensing. Do I need to be licensed by the state or need a medical director or anything? I would carry liability insurance. I'm just not sure what needs to be done to be protected and operating legally.

Good luck, takes a lot of time, resources, and a ton of money.

OP
OP
M

mfd229

Forum Probie
Good luck, takes a lot of time, resources, and a ton of money.

Doesn't answer my question. If I wanted an opinion I would have asked for one.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't answer my question. If I wanted an opinion I would have asked for one.

It wasn't an opinion it was a fact. You will also need to hire a doctor to practice under. Last time I checked they make good money and don't want to put their license on the line for some average joe. You want to run a business but failed to take charge and find answers before asking general questions. Use the search bar, this topic has been covered within the last 6 monrhs. Again, good luck.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Let me see...
1) Medical Director.
2) Agreement with EMS system to follow protocols (or not).
3) Pile of money to get started.
4) Ensure that the EMTs are actually independent contractors and not legally your employees. That can cause serious problems for YOU if you get this wrong.
5) Some kind of agreement with a transport company (I'm assuming your EMTs aren't also doing transport).
I'm sure that there's much more than that... This is just some stuff I came up with when I read the posts.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I would say that step number one is checking to see if this is really a service that is needed. Most places I know of pull from already established local PD, EMS/Fire entities to staff or respond to calls at events such as these.

OP
OP
M

mfd229

Forum Probie
I would say that step number one is checking to see if this is really a service that is needed. Most places I know of pull from already established local PD, EMS/Fire entities to staff or respond to calls at events such as these.

It is very much needed here. I live in Minnesota, there are many tournaments every weekend, even during the summer. If I could make this work, I honestly could probably make a living off it. I work at hockey tournaments now doing EMS work, but the people I work for don't have medical direction, don't have insurance, and they probably charge more than half of what they pay me, so while they sit at home, they make more than I do while working for them. I want to go out on my own, but be legal about it.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
It is very much needed here. I live in Minnesota, there are many tournaments every weekend, even during the summer. If I could make this work, I honestly could probably make a living off it. I work at hockey tournaments now doing EMS work, but the people I work for don't have medical direction, don't have insurance, and they probably charge more than half of what they pay me, so while they sit at home, they make more than I do while working for them. I want to go out on my own, but be legal about it.
Then I suggest you start with @Akulahawk s suggestions. And as Chewy said, there are other threads that will be able to help as well as your states online resources http://mn.gov/health-licensing-boards/emsrb/#

Also look into how the company you work for currently is able operate and if they have a contract that would prevent you from operating your business.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would say that step number one is checking to see if this is really a service that is needed.
This is something I usually assume because someone has seen a potential need.
Most places I know of pull from already established local PD, EMS/Fire entities to staff or respond to calls at events such as these.
Agreed. Around here, the schools (and other venues) usually use already established transport (private) companies to do the medical standby stuff. Depending upon the local area market, you may find there's an unrealized demand (don't know they need it) or the hockey clubs (for example) can't afford those standbys to have 2 EMTs and an ambulance on site, or even a combination of things.

People starting up this kind of business will generally have to go through all the steps of starting an ambulance company without having to deal with vehicles because transport will be handled by another entity. Training should be conducted to teach the non-transport EMT at least some basics about what should be transported by EMS and what could be transported by POV. Also the clients will have to be made aware that if transport is indicated, they or their insurance will have to pay separately for transport services. The on-site EMTs are there for immediate care of injury and then referral to the ED if necessary.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

Your best bet would be to hire an attorney to talk about the risks.

No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship

Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counselling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.