EMT / EMS Student Ride Along / Observer in NYC / Bronx

SigSauerNY

Forum Probie
Hi

Heading towards my first ride along / observer 911 shift, was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience they can share, especially if you have experience within the Bronx.

thanks.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Lots of structure fires as we saw today with the 19 who passed away in the Tremont Section fire on E. 181 St, plenty of vehicle vs. pedestrian (Brueckner Blvd.) , drug overdoses, violent crime. Wear your armor, good luck.

OP
OP
SigSauerNY

SigSauerNY

Forum Probie
Lots of structure fires as we saw today with the 19 who passed away in the Tremont Section fire on E. 181 St, plenty of vehicle vs. pedestrian (Brueckner Blvd.) , drug overdoses, violent crime. Wear your armor, good luck.
level 3?

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I was until April, now I am in Queens.
Bronx probably has the highest violent crime rate in the 5 boroughs. I will let one of the guys on here
research that and prove me wrong.

OP
OP
SigSauerNY

SigSauerNY

Forum Probie
I was until April, now I am in Queens.
Bronx probably has the highest violent crime rate in the 5 boroughs. I will let one of the guys on here
research that and prove me wrong.
I would agree, one of my childhood friends who is now in Miami and husband is emergency medicine and she has a large practice, did her residency in the 80s at Lebanon and said she has not seen a more violent and sick community to date. Hoping Sunday is less violent than last.

OP
OP
SigSauerNY

SigSauerNY

Forum Probie
Just to follow up with anyone who may come across this post in the future.

rode with BronxCare w Bronx Lebanon Hospital for a 12 hour shift. Crews were all wonderful and full of stories and knowledge, bringing some food or snacks goes a long way, such as a couple boxes of donuts etc and is a great way to meet people as most everyone came over to say thanks even if you sneak them in 30 min before shift to try and stay anonymous.

They generally have a high call volume, although this day we responded to 8 calls, which is quiet. Couple med interaction patients, some post Covid anxiety / respiratory, MCI / Building Structure Fire, EDP, Cardiac Arrests, and I missed a couple that we were not able to respond in time to.

Definitely was nervous starting out the day and to also be on the front of responsibility and care, and experiencing death and grieving families, it didn't stop me from getting up the 5 flights of stairs but I definitely needed to step away for a minute and catch my breath, thankfully we had a large team there and 4 FDNY members already doing compressions w 2 medics behind us, not fun in a mask.

Make friends, ask questions, speak to patients and their families, everyone was happy to talk with a student, I didn't speak much with the Arrest family. Get your hands (gloved) dirty, listen and take criticism and learn, always remember to speak up about anything you may be uncomfortable with etc (I discussed it at the beginning with checking inventory in the bus), and most importantly pay attention to both what's happening around you and in front of you, don't forget BSI (stuff your pockets with gloves at the beginning of your shift), and to sanitize your gear and hand wash between calls.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
rode with BronxCare w Bronx Lebanon Hospital for a 12 hour shift. Crews were all wonderful and full of stories and knowledge, bringing some food or snacks goes a long way, such as a couple boxes of donuts etc and is a great way to meet people as most everyone came over to say thanks even if you sneak them in 30 min before shift to try and stay anonymous.

They generally have a high call volume, although this day we responded to 8 calls, which is quiet. Couple med interaction patients, some post Covid anxiety / respiratory, MCI / Building Structure Fire, EDP, Cardiac Arrests, and I missed a couple that we were not able to respond in time to.
one of the guys on my VFD used to work FDNY EMS; they used to say that if they did more than 5 calls in 8 hours, they were busy (he's now assigned to a ladder company in Brooklyn).

8 calls in 12 hours sound good; you had a good mix of serious calls and not serious calls (which is common), and got to see people interacting. some FTOs will jump calls if they can, call volume permitting, esp if it helps students see something cool, but if you aren't available, you aren't available.

and always bring food... the money you spend on donuts/bagels will help with introductions.