EMT certified, what to do over the summer

a13b13

Forum Probie
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a job over the summer where I can utilize my certification. It seems unlikely that I would be hired as an EMT for an ambulance service for just the summer months. Any suggestions of other ways to apply it? Thanks!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a job over the summer where I can utilize my certification. It seems unlikely that I would be hired as an EMT for an ambulance service for just the summer months. Any suggestions of other ways to apply it? Thanks!

If you start the application process relatively soon, you could very well find employment at an ambulance service for the summer. I've worked only summer and winter breaks from college for the last two years as it were.

Most people take their vacation during these times, so there are openings. When I was hired, it was under the understanding that I would not have a set schedule. Once I was done with my third riding, I rarely worked the same shift two days in a row, which while not ideal, still got me a job that I still have.

You still need to maximize your availability to them though, so if you can only apply during the summer, make sure you do it as soon as possible to give them as many weeks as possible.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
I don't know where you live but in California places such as water parks, resorts, and theme parks hire EMTs. Many are seasonal spots as they are much more crowded during the summer and staff accordingly.

JDallas

Forum Probie
If you live near San Bernardino County, Look into County Fire's PCF (Paid Call Firefighter) program. Its essentially a volunteer firefighter with an $8.32/hr pay check. PCFs need to get certain fire-related certs within 12 months, but that isn't an issue if you're looking for short term employment. You could chose to handle only medical calls, and you get something like a 2% raise if you're an EMT.

OP
OP
A

a13b13

Forum Probie
Thanks for the ideas! Currently thinking amusement parks would be good but I can't really think of anything similar to that, any ideas?