EMT-B's in the state of Georgia?

phillystudent

Forum Ride Along
Can you get hired as a basic in Georgia? Specifically in Metro Atlanta? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or will I have to go back to school to get my Intermediate certification?:unsure:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Though it always helps to have a more advanced certification, it looks like there are a number of EMS places hiring EMT-Basics in Atlanta:
Grady
Central EMS

We have a few Georgia EMS members who will surely come along and offer some more information, but hopefully that's a start.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Down here in the southern part of the state it's not likely, Most services will only hire I's.

Gradyemt will be able to tell you more about metro area.

Good luck!

Second

Forum Lieutenant
Down here in the southern part of the state it's not likely, Most services will only hire I's.
Good luck!

I know that around here, thats why i went straight to Intermeadiate program.
Sorry i can help you with metro.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought states were moving away from I's. In Mississippi there are no I's just basics and paramedics.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought states were moving away from I's. In Mississippi there are no I's just basics and paramedics.

some place still like to close their eyes, click their heels three times and pretend I's are as good as medics.

i's always have been and always will be cheaper. lots of places still treat ems as a business and in business, cheaper is better.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Grady no longer hires basics, and hasnt for a few years. All I's are put through ACLS during new-hire orientation, refresher is up to the person to maintain. Reasoning being that many times we have very sick patients and you need to be able to anticipate your partner's needs when it's just the two of you. We have several of our I's who have greater clinical knowledge than many medics I know.

I believe some of the FDs (DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb) will hire Basics and then upgrade you in thier fire academy. When I worked at a private (large with white and red trucks nationwide) there were a few basics, but not many. I'm not sure about Metro Atl (Cobb 911, metro-wide NET), CARE (NET, DeKalb BLS 911), Rural Metro (FulCo 911), Central (NET) the list goes on and on and on. Last I heard, in the 13 county metro area there were 52 ambulance services, not all on the same level.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I always thought basic was just above first-aid/first responder then intermediate then paramedic. And most FDs only require basic but EMS go more for the intermediate's for lower levels more so than basic and I'm going for EMS not fire

course I could be wrong it has happen on occasion before, feel free to correct me.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Youre right about the levels. First Responder-Basic-Intermediate-Medic. I know DeKalb and Gwinnett put you through Intermediate school in the fire academy if you have no EMS experience. A buddy of mine went though Gwinnett's as a basic and was upgraded to I.

JennEMT

Forum Ride Along
Grady does not hire EMT-B's they hire EMT-I and up. I am not sure about the other one. Hope this helps.

Jenn

JosephW

Forum Ride Along
Yah I live inside of Atlanta, and I can tell you that Grady is full of trash and nothing but crime, is where my dad got killed on a call. Prepare too get a call every 3 seconds.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
Grady does not hire EMT-B's they hire EMT-I and up. I am not sure about the other one. Hope this helps.

Jenn

Dougherty is the same way thats why I skiped B and went straight to I

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
The company that I work for (AMR- Troup County) is only hiring B's at this point (its a company wide thing apparently and a real PITA for a state that has very few EMT-B's)

Kev, where i work the I isnt treated as a medic. Actually, we're treated as an ambulance driver. I don't get to ride in the back.. unless its a granny tote to a nursing home/Hospice facility. I'm sure that there are companies w/in the state that do allow their EMT-I's to work outside of the sop... all of the more reputable companys that I know of dont allow it.

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Very few services in south Georgia, in fact I can't think of any, will hire a basic, and most are trying to go to all Paramedic services.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Yah I live inside of Atlanta, and I can tell you that Grady is full of trash and nothing but crime, is where my dad got killed on a call. Prepare too get a call every 3 seconds.

We don't quite run a call every 3 seconds, but when you're running 104,763 calls per year as an inner-city 911 service, yes you will run.

I have learned more here at Grady than ever imagined I could anywhere. Working at Grady you will run anything and everytthing you could ever imagine and more. Yes there is a lot of crime in the City of Atlanta, but that's my job insurance and paycheck so I don't complain one bit.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. If he was picked up by a GEMS crew, I'm sure they dude everything the could, and I know the MDs across the street in the Hospital did everything they could.

JosephW

Forum Ride Along
We don't quite run a call every 3 seconds, but when you're running 104,763 calls per year as an inner-city 911 service, yes you will run.

I have learned more here at Grady than ever imagined I could anywhere. Working at Grady you will run anything and everytthing you could ever imagine and more. Yes there is a lot of crime in the City of Atlanta, but that's my job insurance and paycheck so I don't complain one bit.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. If he was picked up by a GEMS crew, I'm sure they dude everything the could, and I know the MDs across the street in the Hospital did everything they could.

Of course I was exageratting with the 3 seconds thing but I dont know when I used to got the station with him, they got a lot of calls. Before that he worked at Rockdale County, National EMS, and they get no where near as many calls as he did in Grady.

The hospital is not good either.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

carnifex35

Forum Ride Along
hello

Hi my name id David Whitaker and i was just wondering if you knew of any classes around Metro Atlanta that i can go get my EMT-B. My father was a fire fighter and it is a passion of mine and any info you can help me with will be greatly appreciated.

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Hi my name id David Whitaker and i was just wondering if you knew of any classes around Metro Atlanta that i can go get my EMT-B. My father was a fire fighter and it is a passion of mine and any info you can help me with will be greatly appreciated.

:excl:i've got the same problem , 25 hours of googling. only one i found is Perimeter college and Deckalb tech, both EMT-I...

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Lanier Tech, Gwinnett Tech, DeKalb Tech, Chattahoochee Tech, Atlanta Metro Tech, the list goes on. Many of the Technichal Colleges in GA offer at least EMT-I, and many have medic as well, especially in more suburban areas.

guamie

Forum Ride Along

David,

I just graduated from the Gwinnett Tech program in December, and at the end of the program we take an EMT-B summative exam first, then the EMT-I. At Gwinnett Tech, you essentially take the courses and do the hours (class and clinical hours) to test for the NRETM Basic exam. The only thing you'll have to do is get signed off by an instructor to take the NREMT Basic exam. From what my EMT instructors have told me, Georgia doesn't really hire EMT-B's and I think they said that EMT-B's don't ride in the back of ambulance while they are being transported. Any of the BLS units around here are filled with two EMT-I's. Hope this helps put things in prespective.

Bobby