EMT Boots

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
I just recently joined a station and they require a steel toe black boot. I have a pair of awesome bates now, but their not steel toe. I really like bates and i always have so i wanted to know what would be the best steel toe boot for EMS. I'm open to all brands, but i need a nice boot for under $200.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't wear steel toes as the air ambulance does not require them. I have a pair of repro WWII (russet brown) Corcoran jump boots that I wear while on duty.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
My favorites so far have been Haix boots. May have to look around to find some under $200. In 10 years theyve been the only ones I can take off after 24+ hours of wear and my feet dont hurt. They also have a refurb program for older boots to make them nearly new.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I usually wear Converse Tac boots, and I believe they make a composite safety toe boot (which meets all requirements for steel toe and is lighter)

djm0219

Forum Probie
I just bought a pair of the Bates Ultra Lite 5 inche composite toe boots and they have been extremely comfortable from day 1. The composite toe meets the requirements for a "steel toe" with a lot less weight and they were under 80 dollars. Their item number is SP594 FWIW.

OP
OP
hocomedic

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
aight thanks guys i have to check with my department about the whole steel toe situation because i think they have to be steel, not composite. It sucks because i can find more nice composite toe boots then steel toe.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
aight thanks guys i have to check with my department about the whole steel toe situation because i think they have to be steel, not composite. It sucks because i can find more nice composite toe boots then steel toe.

I'm in Howard County MD as well, and I wear the 5.11 ATAC Shield boots. As far as I know these are 100% OK with their composite safety toe. They are comfortable as hell for my foot, and the side-zip is very nice (YKK zippers are bulletproof). They even came with a ticket attached for a free pair of 5.11 socks, which are great. Just padded enough, and whatever elasticizer they use is perfect - the socks don't cut off my circulation, but I almost never have to tug them up, they just don't fall down.

OP
OP
hocomedic

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
yea ive been lookin at those i just want to check with my station first before i drop the money on them

djm0219

Forum Probie
aight thanks guys i have to check with my department about the whole steel toe situation because i think they have to be steel, not composite.

I can't imagine that that would be true since the composites meet or exceed the ANSI requirements for protection. Older policies may have been written to say steel but it was likely done before there were other options available.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Check out LApolicegear.com. I just saw a pair of nice steel toes with the zipper up the side for 30 bucks in the clearance area, was thinking about getting a pair for myself.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't imagine that that would be true since the composites meet or exceed the ANSI requirements for protection. Older policies may have been written to say steel but it was likely done before there were other options available.

Yeah, composites are much better. If your foot gets run over with a steel toe boot, you can get your toes cut off, whereas with composite toes the boot will shatter and they may only be crushed, leading to the possibility of recovery.

reaper

Working Bum
Most boot companies no longer use steel toe. Most have gone to composite for safety reasons. Electrocution being the main one!

They are also using composite shanks now too.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Globe FootGear 10" Quad-Certified Technical Rescue, Wildland, EMS Liquid Splash Speed Lace Boot, NFPA.

More expensive: Yes. More comfortable: Yes.

http://www.globefiresuits.com/footgear/products-and-solutions/technical-10in-zipper-speed-lace.aspx

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/p...ms_liquid_splash_zipper_speed_lace_boot_nfpa/

Wow, and I thought the HAIX boots were pricey. Those look like they're almost tough enough to wear into a working fire, but I'm dubious about them being worth more than twice as much as my beloved 5.11s.

While we are on the topic of boots, does anyone know the difference between the 5.11 ATAC Shield boots, which now appear to be discontinued, and the 5.11 Station boot w/ Safety Toe? They are the same price and look almost identical.

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
I could imagine it would be a little difficult for me to find steel toe boots. It's hard to find them in womens and I wear a 5 in boys. >.>

OP
OP
hocomedic

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for every bodies impute but i decided on a pair of REDWING 6690. The reason for this is because i didn't want to buy a pair of boots of the internet because i cant try them on and all boot companies have slightly different sizes, also my left foot is 10 wide and my right foot is 10.5 wide. There was a local REDWING store where i could actually see them and try them on. They have an aluminium toe that is up to spec, water prof, and they have an electrical hazard rating. They are also very comfortable. I paid $160 at their store, great boot.

Heres a pic of my boots.
06690.jpg

reaper

Working Bum
Worst choice to make!

Redwings are crappy boots. They are not the redwing of old. They are cheap made and their EMS boots fall apart fast.

OP
OP
hocomedic

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
if that happens then ill take them back cause its a thing that they do, if it falls apart i get new boots. My brother had these for about 2 years and wears them every day and has had no problems

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I could imagine it would be a little difficult for me to find steel toe boots. It's hard to find them in womens and I wear a 5 in boys. >.>

Might not be as hard as you think. It's actually not been much of an issue for me. There are a lot of women in public safety in my area, so stores take care to stock smaller men's sizes.