EMT basic tools

MikEMS

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am fairly new to the EMS world, and would like some opinions on what are some of the good personal belt holsters and shears etc. for EMT-Bs / EMR. Or does it really even matter? Thanks!

Does it really matter? No not really.

The only tool you ned as an EMR, EMT, or Paramedic is you head. That said, I like to invest in quality things for work (like boots and a backpack to carry my lunch/snacks, books for school, and other things to keep me busy when things get boring).

As a new EMT, there is no need to go out and spend money on shears and holsters. First, get a job and than decide what you want/need based on what others are using and your own budget. Showing up on your first day with shears in a holster and all sorts of other gadgets will get you a bad reputation real quick.

Where I live & work, anybody who carries shears on their belt is generally dismissed as a newbie. That's not to say there aren't any cool rigs or low-hip side-saddles for shears and stuff, but really, in 2 years of EMS I've used them twice, and one of those two times, I abandoned it and just ripped the shirt buttons open by hand.

If you're going to carry something with you, carry extra pairs of gloves, a pen, a penlight, and a snack.

Use "search". I think I started a few threads about it just by myself.

Roger the "head" thing. The longer you're at this the less you will carry.

HAHA I guess it makes sense about not carrying the stuff if you have experience because you know that you don't need them. ^_^

Well I'm glad I put it out there then. Thanks for the tips!

Like so many things...

it depends. What are you going to be doing? Patient transfers? Event standby? 911 responses? First aid? If you're gonna be doing patient transfers from the nursing home to the doctors office, you probably won't be needing any shears. If on the other hand you're doing first aid at an event, you most likely will need them at some point, maybe a lot.

I work on film/ television commercial sets, I don't have a ambulance, all my equipment is carried, by me, to each job. I set up a table with my stuff, I use a small tool case with a pair of shears, a penlight, couple pairs of gloves, and a pair of bandage scissors in it on my belt. I do this because it works for me, if some of the folks on this list saw it, they'd think I was a whacker. To which I respond so what? I'm not always standing near my main supplies, occasionally something will need to be cut quickly, ie, piece of wardrobe or scenery. I use what I use because it works for me not because some anonymous folks on a web forum think that carrying a pair of shears looks bad.

I'd also add that on the rare occasion when I use my shears to cut something for a crew member if asked for help, the people who hire folks to work on their multi-million dollar budget projects like it when they see people who have the proper tools onhand and use them as needed without worrying about what others think they look like.

Find out what you'll need in the way of personal tools, try a few methods of carrying them until you find one that works for you and then use it. If someone makes fun of you over it, it says a helluva more about them than it does about you. If you don't need em, don't get em. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

John E

I have to agree with the head thing too. As an EMT there is no need to spend mony on stuff. Only reason I even have the stuff I have is because I inherited it from my dad who is a former paramedic.

Hi guys, I am fairly new to the EMS world, and would like some opinions on what are some of the good personal belt holsters and shears etc. for EMT-Bs / EMR. Or does it really even matter? Thanks!

The cheapist ones you can find. Personally, I don't see any need for a holster other than one that can carry a trauma shear. Even that you won't need if you end up picking up EMS pants.

I bought cheap sheers and keep them in my EMS pants. I like to have a couple of pens, pen light, and an O2 wrench also. I also keep a field guide. The thing I think you should spend your money on is a good stethoscope. I bought a really good one and love it. It is better then the ones that have been in everyones ears on the truck.

I bought cheap sheers and keep them in my EMS pants. I like to have a couple of pens, pen light, and an O2 wrench also. I also keep a field guide. The thing I think you should spend your money on is a good stethoscope. I bought a really good one and love it. It is better then the ones that have been in everyones ears on the truck.
+1 I'd say get a decent stethoscope and a blood pressure cuff to practice with before anything else.

- HAZMAT

Carry two pens, a notepad, extra gloves, and a penlight(optional). Everything else should be in your trauma bag and in the rig.

The only extra things I own (besides uniforms) are a stethescope, BP cuff, a flashlight holster, and a glove holster. The flashlight holster, glove holster, and a radio are the only things that go on my belt.

Where you work dictates what you will need, as will what you do. If you are working in/from an ambulance, you probably won't really need the glove holder (I work at a college and do a lot of foot patrol). If you are only doing IFTs, you probably won't need a flashlight. You will, however, need a stethescope.

I personally carry in my pockets an ALS quick reference guide, shears, a pen light, an extra pen, a small note pad, and a bottle of eye drops for contacts. I do this because our BLS kits use a tag system to maintain stock and the shears and penlights are tagged up (so I have to rip the tag and do a bag inventory to just get out either shears or a penlight). So I carry these on me, I am getting my own bag to work from next week just to make my life easier (Plus all the medics carry their own bags here so I'll need one when I become a medic)

Retracted. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back