EMT Basic Salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdwatkins13

Emergency Medical Technician
Hello, I live in Fullerton California and have been an EMT basic for the last 3 years. I currently work as a Transporter at a hospital for $13 an hour and find it ridiculous that EMT's are making minimum wage or close to it in Orange and Los Angeles County. Especially since hospitals have jobs with just a high school diploma requirement that pay much more than an EMT who has schooling and a license. I have a wife with 2 kids and can't work for less than $13 an hour. Just wanted to know:
1. Why are EMT's payed so little money?
2. Why are EMT's made to have a state license but then have to take an exam for each job interview to prove to the employer that they are competent?
3. Why does each county have a different scope of practice for the state license? Nursing licenses and scope of practice do not change from county to county so why does an EMT's?
--Please don't tell me it's because each county has different needs, the EMT education and exam are nation wide meaning everyone learns the same thing yet the scope of practice changes with a zip code.

I am very frustrated with the lack of respect, equality, and continuity of the EMT license in the state of California. It seems like were the WALMART employees of EMS. Thank you for your time in your response.

P.S. - By the way I have American Heart Association ACLS, PALS, and Assaultive Behavioral Management (ABM), with years of experience with clinical hospital patients. I'm no incompetent.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
This has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search and you will find multiple threads about EMT salary.

2. Why are EMT's made to have a state license but then have to take an exam for each job interview to prove to the employer that they are competent?
Maybe the company wants to hold their employees to a higher standard then what the state license exam provides?
3. Why does each county have a different scope of practice for the state license? Nursing licenses and scope of practice do not change from county to county so why does an EMT's?
I will let someone from California respond to that.

P.S. - By the way I have American Heart Association ACLS, PALS, and Assaultive Behavioral Management (ABM), with years of experience with clinical hospital patients. I'm no incompetent.

You having ACLS and PALS is pretty much worthless as an EMT-B as is your experience working as a transporter to most companies.

WBExpatMedic

Forum Crew Member
The only advice that I have is get your Paramedic.

OP
OP
mdwatkins13

mdwatkins13

"Get your Paramedic"

It is illegal to work as a Paramedic in Orange and Los Angeles County if you are not a employee of the fire department. So being a paramedic is worthless, since there are no paramedics working for private companies.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
It is illegal to work as a Paramedic in Orange and Los Angeles County if you are not a employee of the fire department. So being a paramedic is worthless, since there are no paramedics working for private companies.

Actually LA County DOES have medics but only for ALS IFT and the company has to be LA county licensed not just LA city.

As for OC there is medics but only for a pilot program for ALS IFTs. The only company allowed at this time is Lynch.

Their is no 911 private medics though at either counties.

Your welcome :)

OP
OP
mdwatkins13

mdwatkins13

You having ACLS and PALS is pretty much worthless as an EMT-B as is your experience working as a transporter to most companies.

Why is it worthless? ACLS and PALS are both great to know EKG rhythms, how to respond to different types of EKG arrhythmia, how to lead a code and tell the nurse or doctor what to do and in what order, and what is going on with the patient depending on the arrhythmia. Transporting patients, especially the ones i work with, behavioral health can be a tremendous help to the EMT profession. So I ask wanting to know and thank you for the reply, how is it worthless?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Why is it worthless? ACLS and PALS are both great to know EKG rhythms, how to respond to different types of EKG arrhythmia, how to lead a code and tell the nurse or doctor what to do and in what order, and what is going on with the patient depending on the arrhythmia. Transporting patients, especially the ones i work with, behavioral health can be a tremendous help to the EMT profession. So I ask wanting to know and thank you for the reply, how is it worthless?

ACLS and PALS are simply about the algorithms. There's no real information there. It's really just a convenient way for the AHA to make some money, and we all have to get them since they are almost universally required by employers. You could gain much more in depth knowledge of EKG interpretation, treatment modalities, pharmacology, or small team management by taking courses or reading books on those specific subject matter. I do applaud you for attempting to further your education, but most here don't see a lot of value in the alphabet soup nonsense.

Also, giving orders to RNs or Docs in codes as a transporter? Best of luck...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

It is worthless because as an Basic you can not do anything with that knowledge. You can not interpret rhythms, you can not push drugs, and you will most certainly not run a code. You think you will be telling RNs, let alone MDs, what to do in a code!? :wacko: In all your years of hospital experience have you ever seen a code?

Patient transport is not direct patient care. You have no medical responsibility for that patient, you are not assessing them, nor performing any interventions. Worthless may be a slight exaggeration. I am sure your experience is better than nothing but It really would not impress anyone on a resume or stand out.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ACLS and PALS are simply about the algorithms.
Pretty much sums it up. ACLS and PALS are not education of any kind, they are 2 day training classes which test the minimum standards to follow a simple algorithm/protocol. At the paramedic level its just part of our mandatory refresher training every certification period.

Regarding the salary, check this thread http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=35263

dshadbolt

Forum Ride Along

That's a dead horse. It's an entry level job into the medical field in my eyes. I'm not going to come into a job expecting a big paycheck. However, I make a paycheck and I have benefits. I really can't complain.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
That's a dead horse. It's an entry level job into the medical field in my eyes. I'm not going to come into a job expecting a big paycheck. However, I make a paycheck and I have benefits. I really can't complain.
no, that would be a cna who has less than half the training as an EMT. However, salaries are similar

Salary? What salary.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
no, that would be a cna who has less than half the training as an EMT. However, salaries are similar

Depends on the state. Many CNA programs very comparable to EMT.

WBExpatMedic

Forum Crew Member

Maybe should get your paramedic and then get a job with the fire department. Plus who take ALS transfers? Someone has to do it, and I'm sure the fire department is to busy to do it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Plus who take ALS transfers? Someone has to do it, and I'm sure the fire department is to busy to do it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that would be nurses.

WBExpatMedic

Forum Crew Member

I would be curious as to how may EMT-B or Paramedic's have ever told a nurse or doctor what to do during a code. I know in 15 years I've do it a total of 1 time and by the way it was an eye doctor that didn't even know how to do CPR.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief

Actually it is Federal and State. The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 now mandates CNAs to have a minimum of 75 hours if they work in an accredited SNF or nursing facility. Each state much maintain a current registry and CMS will look at this for accrediting facilities. The State will set the education standards which can be higher. Most states also know each facility will have special needs (ortho, spinal, psych, trachs, ventilators) and much of the training will be done on the job. CNAs do have a lot much opportunities for employment and the ability to work in many different areas of the hospital or extended stay facility which can lead to additional certifications or titles.

One CNA can care for up to 30 patients at one time and for 8 or 12 hours every shift and usually up their feet running for most of that so it is difficult to compare them to EMTs who may not see 30 patients in a month.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
minimum required training is half of an EMT

My program was a college course and almost doubled the minimum requirements for EMT. Our clinical was not by hours but by contacts. It was pretty long

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I would be curious as to how may EMT-B or Paramedic's have ever told a nurse or doctor what to do during a code. I know in 15 years I've do it a total of 1 time and by the way it was an eye doctor that didn't even know how to do CPR.

Wait until you get to Saudi man :p

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
minimum required training is half of an EMT

My program was a college course and almost doubled the minimum requirements for EMT. Our clinical was not by hours but by contacts. It was pretty long

The minimum for EMTs in the US for the majority of states is still about 110 hours so 75 is more than half. Also, many CNA programs are taught at community colleges so they also get college credit and some are in the continuing learning section which is where some EMT classes also are. College is not a requirement for either. Some CNA classes may also have 60 - 100 hours of hands on experience in clinicals. Our local cc program would like to see their graduates do total care to 10 patients for an 8 hour shift. The first day might be spent taking vitals on over 100 long term patients.

http://bellevuecollege.edu/health/cne/nac.asp

http://www.scc.losrios.edu/Academic...HOPE/Programs/Certified_Nursing_Assistant.htm

63 hours of classroom instruction and 135 hours of supervised, hands-on clinical instruction

http://www.frontrange.edu/Academics/Fields-of-Study/Certificates/Nurse-Aide/

https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/acres.woa/wa/freeForm?id=24462

So you see CNAs can also do more than the "minimum".

Does where you take the course improve your chances of being employed or paid more for an entry level tech class (CNA or EMT) with only a few hours required for state certification? Probably not.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hello, I live in Fullerton California and have been an EMT basic for the last 3 years. I currently work as a Transporter at a hospital for $13 an hour and find it ridiculous that EMT's are making minimum wage or close to it in Orange and Los Angeles County. Especially since hospitals have jobs with just a high school diploma requirement that pay much more than an EMT who has schooling and a license. I have a wife with 2 kids and can't work for less than $13 an hour. Just wanted to know:
--Please don't tell me it's because each county has different needs, the EMT education and exam are nation wide meaning everyone learns the same thing yet the scope of practice changes with a zip code.

I am very frustrated with the lack of respect, equality, and continuity of the EMT license in the state of California. It seems like were the WALMART employees of EMS. Thank you for your time in your response.

While Nurses have a state-issued license and a fairly wide scope of practice, the scope of practice that an individual RN has can vary from facility to facility and by specific position within each facility.

Furthermore, RN's are typically limited to BLS only when not working, should they choose to provide care in the field. While the same goes for Paramedics, that's not always the case. Some California EMS systems explicitly allow accredited Paramedics (that are affiliated with a provider) to provide their full ALS scope of practice while off-duty.

So the Nursing scope of practice does vary considerably...

Status
Not open for further replies.