EMT-Basic Program

emty

Forum Ride Along
I am attending an EMT-Basic program right now, it lasts about 6 months. I have a question, considering that each course I am taking literally only lasts 6 weeks, and the first book I have is about 6 inches thick with 40 chapters, am I supposed to retain ALL of this? Or am I going to learn it when I get in the field with experience, does anyone come out of these kind of programs retaining all of this information, it is quite a hefty work load and I would just like some advise for those of you have found yourselves in similar situations.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll be lucky if you retain 1%. Good courses like that help create a good foundation, though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I am attending an EMT-Basic program right now, it lasts about 6 months. I have a question, considering that each course I am taking literally only lasts 6 weeks, and the first book I have is about 6 inches thick with 40 chapters, am I supposed to retain ALL of this? Or am I going to learn it when I get in the field with experience, does anyone come out of these kind of programs retaining all of this information, it is quite a hefty work load and I would just like some advise for those of you have found yourselves in similar situations.

Medic school is worse.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Alright in all seriousness, yes, you're expected to retain all the information. Every final I've taken was comprehensive, hell my medic school final was like 900 some odd questions long and took me like 5 hours to do.

The NREMT exam is comprehensive as well. For EMT-B you should only have one main buck with a few supplements. I believe for both B and I I had a book and a workbook for both.

There is definitely on-the-job training involved but during an FTO period their job is to teach you operations of that system, not how to be an EMT. That's what class is for. Unfortunately EMS has been very resistant to increased education requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Alright in all seriousness, yes, you're expected to retain all the information. Every final I've taken was comprehensive, hell my medic school final was like 900 some odd questions long and took me like 5 hours to do.

The NREMT exam is comprehensive as well. For EMT-B you should only have one main buck with a few supplements. I believe for both B and I I had a book and a workbook for both.

There is definitely on-the-job training involved but during an FTO period their job is to teach you operations of that system, not how to be an EMT. That's what class is for. Unfortunately EMS has been very resistant to increased education requirements.

What kind of study material were you using?!

OP
OP
emty

emty

Forum Ride Along

Thank you for the serious answer.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What kind of study material were you using?!

I have a book case an a half full of my texts. I have around 25 or so required texts in medic school and close to 10-15 optional. We had separate pharm, patho phys , physical assessment, 12 lead, cardiac/ ekg, Etc. This was all in top of the 5 book paramedic text set.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a book case an a half full of my texts. I have around 25 or so required texts in medic school and close to 10-15 optional. We had separate pharm, patho phys , physical assessment, 12 lead, cardiac/ ekg, Etc. This was all in top of the 5 book paramedic text set.

That's about how ours was. We weighed all our books one day, I can't remember the exact number but it was ridiculous.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

That's about how ours was. We weighed all our books one day, I can't remember the exact number but it was ridiculous.

Thats how our textbooks are as well. I was just being an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: since robb said "one main buck" :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm confused?