EMT-B wanting to become an instructor

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Same concept for medic, but paramedics teaching paramedic classes is rampant....

I would like to see a bachelors degree become a more important requirement than field experience for paramedic instructors.

And by bachelors, I think science degrees are preferable. I know people who are working on Bachelors in Emergency Medical Sciences (maybe it's services), and a lot of the core classes are management type classes, and I think it's an excuse of a degree. It looks to basically be a degree that is easily obtainable for people who have been in EMS/Fire service, just to have a degree.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Agreed! Biology and chemistry degrees for all! At the bare minimum, get some RNs with relevant experience (ER or ICU)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Maybe it's silly but the big difference I've noticed between instructors with and those without experience are the stories. Sometimes there's no better way to illustrate a point than with the true-life crazy stories that you'll never find in a book.
I got to agree, I like an instructor who tells good stories, especially ones which show when the items that are being taught about were implemented.

when I was in college, I took a grad course in project management. the problem was, it was taught by a 27 year old who had his PHD, but had never actually worked as anything other than a career student. Kinda hard to accept someone as an expert on a topic when they have no real experience in dealing with said topic.

Leanne

Forum Ride Along
Where I live, it's 3 years for certified lab assistant (some schools do not have certified lab assistants) and 5 years before you can take a course to teach.

CPR is usually done with training programs through AHA or Red Cross from what I could tell when I thought about getting it. I think AHA requires you to be ACLS-certified, but it may have just been a certain level.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
CPR is usually done with training programs through AHA or Red Cross from what I could tell when I thought about getting it. I think AHA requires you to be ACLS-certified, but it may have just been a certain level.
no. do your research, or even better, I'll do it for you: http://tinyurl.com/6d86eyp

all you need to do is hold the training level you are becoming an instructor in. so if you want to be a CPR instructor, you need to be CPR certified. if you want to be an ACLS instructor, you need an ACLS certificate. make sense?

bearmedic

Forum Probie
Ok I have my AHA CPR instructor, which you talk to a local training center for. As far as ACLS goes three years experience to take the instructor class. On the CPR the level you hold when taking the class is the highest you can teach so if you have healthcare provider you can teach teach all the classes. But on a side note with the new 2010 guidelines there really is nothing to teach, it's almost all on the video. Kinda miss the old setup on it when we did more. Some training centers have requirements to get your instructor (years in field, why do you want it, those sort of things) but they range depending on the site. Mine is with a local lvl2 so I do the nursing staff and some schools in the area.

Sent from my iPhone

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
Several years of experience is the next step for an EMS instructor. Also, normally EMT-B courses are taught by paramedics in most areas so advancing your education will also help.

Almost none of the local instructors around me is a paramedic, most are basics.