EMT-B testing?

Chiitown

Forum Ride Along
I just had a general question I just started my EMT-B class this spring and my instructor talked a little but about certification/licensing but not very clearly. Is the NREMT a written test only or does it also have a practical? and are state licensing exams written or practical? I was having a little trouble finding these answers online but I assume there must be a practical test somewhere before you can practice as an EMT? Thank you so much for clearing this up!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is a written and skills test for NREMT. There may or may not be a written and/or skills test for the state/county.

For Example in CA you have to take the written and skills test for NREMT but there is no written or skills test for the CA cert.

OP
OP
C

Chiitown

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for responding so quickly! And did you find the skills test very difficult/ how did you study?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thanks for responding so quickly! And did you find the skills test very difficult/ how did you study?
The skills test if very straightforward. The testing sheets are on the NREMT website.

I pretty much just remembered the sheets word for word for the skills test.

I didn't study at all for the written

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
You'll probably be going over the skills in class. Like DesertEMT66 said, just memorize the sheets. Medical and trauma take knowing signs, symptoms, and life threats. Otherwise, it's straightforward.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
The NREMT practical at least for me was done at the end of my EMT-B class and I was tested by my EMT instructors not at a NREMT testing center, I don't know if its done the same everywhere else but that is just for me in Washington state. The NREMT written or CAT(computer adaptive test) is done at a NREMT testing center like pearson vue. Also I don't know if this is the same everywhere else but your required to get a minimum 80% on every exam throughout the class, I assume it is the same because that is also NREMT standards, don't sweat the tests as long as you study the sheets and read the book its easy, the lowest score I got on any one of the practical or written exams in my EMT class was 99%. Although I do remember some people failing them but they must have simply not studied enough as well as a lot of people take the course simply for the credits so they don't get into as much as I did. It was always funny (for me) when we would bring our scan-trons to be graded and the machine would go off like a machine gun for some people.