EMT-B Students!!!

airraid

Forum Ride Along
My name is Leighton, I'm a 27 year old EMT-B student in Gainesville, FL at the Santa Fe College EMS program. So far I'm loving it - I've already decided I want to go beyond to medic school, but first I'll see how I do with this. I'm more excited than I ever was getting my BA (Dec 09). This line of work is for me. Interacting with people and making connections, no matter how brief, is one of the best rewards I get out of life.

I can't wait to get more experience. I do my first hospital clinical this weekend 1900 to 0700. It's going to be awesome. This forum is a great resource - I'm so glad I stumbled on to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
Started in Sept, Finals are next month(Feb) and the NREMT exam shortly after. So far the classroom experience has been mixed. I would have liked more time practicing skills. Most of it has been dry lecture that doesnt always seem very organized or well prepared. Clinicals have been an incredible learning experience though. I've done almost 80 hours on an ALS ambulance and pretty much got thrown into the fire from the beginning. The medics have been great, on the way to the scene grilling me on what I would do first, what I should be looking for etc. and not letting me just sit back and watch. ER clinicals havent been as valuable or challenging, but at least I got lots of patient exposure.
Overall I agree with what people have said here...the more you know before u start the more better it is, and you should make every effort to learn beyond just what youre taught in class or what will get you through the next test(as long as you dont overload yourself mentally).

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
My class wasn't all that great either. My clinical time was awesome. I am still in contact with the medics that I rode with. I took my state exam on Wed and nos its just the game of waiting for my results.. Stupid pen and paper exams lol. If it had been computerized I would have known my score automatically

Angel

Paramedic
i havent updated since i first posted.
i passed my class, the final was easy but i made some dumb mistakes, that day in general just wasnt a good one. im scheduled to take my NREMT on the 1st then i have a meeting at the county office on the 3rd to get my application in after that im good! i have fingerprints and my med. examiners appt is next week.

honestly to me the way the teacher taught helped me learn those things the book might not have or things i wouldve over looked. it comes in handy when taking practice quizzes.

Good luck to everyone this semester and DONT get behind in studying. alot of people had to drop because they missed the minimum but a couple % short of 75

TheG3RG

Forum Probie
I'm starting my EMT-B training Wednesday so I'm pretty exited lol

been wanting to take this course for like a year but tried putting my BS degreee first, but since I got laid off from aircraft manufacturing I'm getting it done now so that I can hop right into being a firefighter.

emtmike11

Forum Ride Along
emt-b student

recently started the emt portion of the program i'm in, which is an a.a.s. emergency medical services program that ends in becoming a degreed paramedic...it's tough but i'm loving the work so far...i have rotations in the field and in the e.r., anyone in a similar program?

Medix821

Forum Ride Along
I started classes on January 5th and we have our first midterm on Saturday Feb 6th already. I live in Manitoba but going to school in Calgary, Alberta - far away from my hubby. I'll be 40 the day after my final exam - should be a major celebration!

spiffy

Forum Probie
Halfway through class and still going strong! Whew, it's tough to juggle things around sometimes and find time to study. Anyone else ever have that issue? Err... any other single parents here have that issue? I had my anatomy and terminology test today. Was worried about it because I didn't think I studied enough, but I aced it (whew). Second half of the first of many classes I have to take and it's just going to get harder. Loving the course though, but have noticed that a few things are different between the west coast and the east coast. I guess the trendelenburg (my spelling is terrible right now, I apologize) position out here is different than the east coast?
Anyone going for life flight? I'd love to know about it... it's what I'd like to do but I'm not sure if I would have the time after paramedic school to get into nursing school since you have to be a nurse in the state of CA to be life flight.

mct601

RN/NRP
for those of you who read my earlier post about getting a run-around on my practicals

well long story short I got very sick (103-104 fever) the final night of class/practicals. Instructors told me to call the following Wednesday to schedule a makeup. This never happened. They ignored phone calls, emails, etc. They scheduled it once but canceled it. Well last week I was informed that the instructor had been replaced and the new guy will take care of me.

Finally, he did. After finishing class around the first week of january, in mid Feb I have FINALLY completed my practicals and now prepping to take national registry. Wish I could say I am excited, but all I can think is "about time"...

alyssa_

Forum Probie
^Glad things turned out well!

I just started my EMT-B class on Tuesday. I'll have more to say as the class progresses but so far, I love it.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
Still waiting for class in August; but I did have to take my childhood shots again, (MMR) ,lots of fun. I got accepted to the College here and decided to go for the associates degree. I may want to go for the paramedic or later X-ray tec;ether way I will have my continuing education covered for a while.I cant wait to start!!
Honestly,I don't know why I'm so wound up about it.The more I hear about the job the,"reasonable " part of me is saying;wait a minute ,very little pay ,people punching me out,the risk of hep B and HIV,away from my family for days at a time. BUT......I was trapped in a wreck for 3 hours 45 min pinned till all I could move was my head, and a low paid guy, who I was extremely happy to see, pulled me out. I want to be that guy for a while....I cant help my self, I know what it's like to be in a hopeless situation. I want to FIX that for as many people as possible. I may grow out of it, but as for now I'm like a little kid again waiting for school and a new career. MY KIDS THINK IT ROCKS!! that's cool because it wont be long till they think I'm dumb as a box of hammers. LOL "the're 9 and 12" LOL

mct601

RN/NRP
^Glad things turned out well!

I just started my EMT-B class on Tuesday. I'll have more to say as the class progresses but so far, I love it.

There will be parts you love, and parts you can't wait to get through (however, those are typically the most important parts). Find interest in everything they teach you and you will do just fine and enjoy yourself.

Still waiting for class in August; but I did have to take my childhood shots again, (MMR) ,lots of fun. I got accepted to the College here and decided to go for the associates degree. I may want to go for the paramedic or later X-ray tec;ether way I will have my continuing education covered for a while.I cant wait to start!!
Honestly,I don't know why I'm so wound up about it.The more I hear about the job the,"reasonable " part of me is saying;wait a minute ,very little pay ,people punching me out,the risk of hep B and HIV,away from my family for days at a time. BUT......I was trapped in a wreck for 3 hours 45 min pinned till all I could move was my head, and a low paid guy, who I was extremely happy to see, pulled me out. I want to be that guy for a while....I cant help my self, I know what it's like to be in a hopeless situation. I want to FIX that for as many people as possible. I may grow out of it, but as for now I'm like a little kid again waiting for school and a new career. MY KIDS THINK IT ROCKS!! that's cool because it wont be long till they think I'm dumb as a box of hammers. LOL "the're 9 and 12" LOL

Nobody goes into EMS for pay. Everyone has their own reason for doing it. I went into it wanting to help people much like you, but I didn't know how much. Once I got in I took extra ambulance shifts to get more time as a student, and after seeing so many people in need, it fueled my desire for the job. It is a job however.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I posted earlier when I was still going through my class. I just took my NREMT practicals and school written final this weekend so im now officially done. The class was 5 and a half months long and was easier than I thought it would be up until the final.
The final written practical exam was brutal. A 2 hour time limit with 150 questions that were mostly a small paragraph long and in most cases 3 and sometimes all 4 answers were at least plausable, so you basically had to go with the best right answer. It was far harder than most of us anticipated and I thought for sure I failed it, but still had to go do the NREMT practical stations directly after. I cruised through the practicals with no trouble, probably because thinking I failed the written took all the pressure off me at that point.
I ended up doing way better than I thought and passed the test, but id rather go through consecutive root canals with no anesthesia than repeat the experience again.
I still have the NREMT computerized exam left, but after my school finals experience im not stressed about that at all.
They told us when we started that school graduates have the highest NREMT first time pass rate in the nation, and now I know why.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Hi, I'm Adam, I have my orientation for my EMT-B class tomorrow, I will be Attending EMSTA in San Diego.

I'm definitely excited more than anything, I hope to eventually go on to paramedic, and then from there, who knows? I have every intention of becoming the absolute best healer I can be.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Hi! I'm Glen, currently attending EMT-B in Arkansas. My goal is to do the best I can and pass the NREMT and see about finding work out along the west, mostly around N. California and that region. (I've grown up around rice fields, come to the North East part of my state and you'll know why I want a change... All flat. Like parts of Kansas. lol)

I started my classes around the 16th as well, with my first ER clinical work coming up this weekend. Ambulance ride alongs after that. both excited and nervous, but know it's something I want to do so I'm ready to do what ever I can.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member

Just out of curiosity thre, Kermit, you wouldn't happen to be enrolled in Joe Chappel's class with BRTC, would ya?

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck to all of you.
For those just starting their class- Keep up the excitement. You're in for a crazy ride, but it's fun. Make good note taking and study habits now. ASK QUESTIONS. The stuff you learn first are your base things and you'll need them throughout your entire EMS career.
For those in the middle of your class- Don't forget the feeling and desire you had the beginning of your class. Now is definitely not the time to slack off. Keep up with your old material as well.
For those about to test out- Good luck! STUDY STUDY STUDY and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't stress it, but don't blow it off. Get a good night's rest the night before if you can. You've worked hard for this and this is your time to shine!
And, lastly, congrats to all of those who ahve recently received their certification. You earned it so now get to work or enroll in your next class! :)