EMT-B Students!!!

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Sweet no more weekend classes!!!! We did blood borne pathogens on 2-8, CPR on 2-14 and 2-15, and we just finished hazmat today 2-21! So yea now I get to stress about midterm which is gonna be on 3-6. We shall see how many remain out of 38 after midterm is done.

38?!?! Wow that's a big class! My class started with 20 and we ended with 10. I was very happy to be part of those 10!

kymtgpro

Forum Probie
38?!?! Wow that's a big class! My class started with 20 and we ended with 10. I was very happy to be part of those 10!

Were most of them drop outs or just couldnt hack the criteria. I dont understand dropping out of a course that you cant get your money back on.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Were most of them drop outs or just couldnt hack the criteria. I dont understand dropping out of a course that you cant get your money back on.

It's hard to say. Our instructors liked us to think that they couldn't make it. I think some failed tests but were given the chance to work hard, bring their grade up and make it happen but they refused. There were several for sure that failed out.

We actually could get some money back depending on how early you dropped out. There were a couple that I think realized how much work it was and dropped out while they could still get money back.

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Didease Cards

Does anyone else have to do disease cards? We have a disease card due once a week on the assigned disease. Easy to do and surprised how much I learn from doing one disease card. The card has to include the cause, risk factors, signs and symptoms, and treatment. Its in the same format as a written paper. We also have SOAP Charts due once a week. Im just curious if anyone else around the country does these?

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone else have to do disease cards? We have a disease card due once a week on the assigned disease. Easy to do and surprised how much I learn from doing one disease card. The card has to include the cause, risk factors, signs and symptoms, and treatment. Its in the same format as a written paper. We also have SOAP Charts due once a week. Im just curious if anyone else around the country does these?

We didn't do those but they sound like they would be helpful. We did have SOAP notes to do though. We would have "on call" crews each night and we would be called to scenarios. We would have a SOAP note due for the call the next class. We had some pretty cool scenarios where we were called to actual houses and stuff. It was really fun until we got yelled at for running bad calls!

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain

Nope haven't done anything like that nor will we. We do have a pharm paper due in a few weeks though that I need to get started on. Also have this multicultural paper on how different cultures can affect EMS and how you treat a patient.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
we've got a test monday on PEDS, birthing and some other stuff.

and mid-terms are come'n up in about two weeks.

yay :l

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone, I'm Alex 23 years old and taking EMT Basic near Jackson. My goal is to get into the field for a private ambulance company in Sacramento area.

We started January 20th and just got done with the legal issues. Our scope of practice, Duty to Act, Negligence DNR legislation etc.
Next week were on anatomy and physiology. I'm glad I took Anatomy and physiology right now haha. They tried to stick the whole anatomy course in one chapter! So that's what I'll be doing while the super bowl is going on.

Good luck getting a job in sac. That is where I live for now not a lot going on out here. we are actually moving to El Paso Next month. I just finished my class and did a 12 hour ride along with sac metro. Those guys were great. I ran 4 calls with them. I take my National Registry March 4th. A little nervous. But the ride along definaltly helped boost the confidence level. Hope to pass so i dont have to worry about retaking it when I get there. Been studing like crazy. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So I have midterm on March 6th and then we get our field packets and can start doing our ride outs. Got signed off on vitals today, about 40% of the class failed vitals....So yea now I get to stress out about midterm and then after that stress out about not fudging up on my ride outs.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
So I have midterm on March 6th and then we get our field packets and can start doing our ride outs. Got signed off on vitals today, about 40% of the class failed vitals....So yea now I get to stress out about midterm and then after that stress out about not fudging up on my ride outs.

My midterm, I wanted to yack I was terrfied but it was not as bad as I thought it was and my ride along holy crap I knew I was doomed, But the guys I rode with were absolutly wonderful. They made me feel welcome and did not make me feel dumb. We spent 3 hours at a fundraiser called boot for the burn then I got to run 4 calls with them. 3 medical and one truama. I finally got my bloody valentine. Yeah I did it on v-day. That last call came 10 min before I was sceduled to go home it was great. It felt so natural. They let me do what I was conftortable doing. I did vitals, got to place ekg leads, glucose test, switch out 02 cylinder. It was amazing. Learn the back of the rig, ask qestions if you are not comfy doing something just let them know. You will do great. Have fun and good luck.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
My midterm, I wanted to yack I was terrfied but it was not as bad as I thought it was and my ride along holy crap I knew I was doomed, But the guys I rode with were absolutly wonderful. They made me feel welcome and did not make me feel dumb. We spent 3 hours at a fundraiser called boot for the burn then I got to run 4 calls with them. 3 medical and one truama. I finally got my bloody valentine. Yeah I did it on v-day. That last call came 10 min before I was sceduled to go home it was great. It felt so natural. They let me do what I was conftortable doing. I did vitals, got to place ekg leads, glucose test, switch out 02 cylinder. It was amazing. Learn the back of the rig, ask qestions if you are not comfy doing something just let them know. You will do great. Have fun and good luck.

Yea I have heard our midterm isn't that bad but I am still nervous. The thing that really gets me is that it's a do or die thing. Eh better stop messing around on here and get back to studying...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Think of it like this--- the midterm only has half of what you'll need to know overall!

As long as there is no OB-GYN in the test, you'll be fine as that was the single lowest scoring test when I was in class.

My avg for test was 92... got an 86 on OB. Grr.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
We' have to pass the written test with an 80 or better, and we have 3 skill stations to complete and pass. I am going to kick its booty! and we have chapters 1-20 in the AAOS book, so through OB/GYN. Here we go.

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
grRRr i failed my first attempt on the NReMT exam, few more days til i can retest, another $70 and an hour an a half drive to the testing center !

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Think of it like this--- the midterm only has half of what you'll need to know overall!

As long as there is no OB-GYN in the test, you'll be fine as that was the single lowest scoring test when I was in class.

My avg for test was 92... got an 86 on OB. Grr.

Yea OB-GYN will be on our final which is like 200 questions worth 500 points.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
We' have to pass the written test with an 80 or better, and we have 3 skill stations to complete and pass. I am going to kick its booty! and we have chapters 1-20 in the AAOS book, so through OB/GYN. Here we go.

Yea we have to get an 80 or better also. We only had to pass our vitals station this time because we are going to start our ride outs. All our others skills are going to be in one day!

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
grRRr i failed my first attempt on the NReMT exam, few more days til i can retest, another $70 and an hour an a half drive to the testing center !

Why did you fail?

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
did pretty bad on pediatrics and cardia =/

Well at least you know what to work on now. If you failed and had no idea why that would be a problem.