EMT-B Sooner Then A Semester?

Ally

Forum Probie
So I come as a complete newbie looking for an answer Google can't seem to give me (that should be a clue, huh?). Is anyone aware of a school that offers a 'fast track' EMT-B course, something shorter then a semester?
Thanks a ton if someone has an answer :)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
OP
OP
Ally

Ally

Forum Probie
Thanks - "accelerate" was the word I just couldn't conjure up when I was searching.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
De nada :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You might look into NCTI they usually have 12 week basic classes.

Avenrii

Forum Probie
Summer class here is 10 weeks, where as the usual classes are 16 weeks. So might wanna look around for a summer course!

OP
OP
Ally

Ally

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Seriously, I was pretty brain dead to not come up with 'accelerated' :rofl:

OP
OP
Ally

Ally

Forum Probie
It's not for me, it's for my husband.
A. He has a limited amount of time that he can fit in schooling due to work and our daughter
B. Our local school is well WELL known for "oh, it's nice today, let's just let out early" and half a$$ed hands-on training
C. Has medical training already

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends on who you are. I had a 2 years of college level classes under my belt and a lot of other medical experience so I had no issues with a 4 week class. That being said, I also knew going into it that while I would have the technical expertise coming out, I would have very little experience so even more of my learning would happen after I had my card. My friend did a course in 3 weeks (his state has about 50 fewer hours than Ohio requires) and he had a similar experience as I did.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
why so soon???? I feel like its a ton of info to be thrown at ya in such a short time!

130 odd hours is 130 odd hours no matter how you package it. It really should not take too long to do the "homework" associated with the EMT class either. I think it's certainly a legit presentation of the coursework, so long as it is treated as the beginning of one's EMS education.

crazychick

Forum Probie
130 odd hours is 130 odd hours no matter how you package it. It really should not take too long to do the "homework" associated with the EMT class either. I think it's certainly a legit presentation of the coursework, so long as it is treated as the beginning of one's EMS education.

I understand that but to condense 130 hours into two weeks with 8 hour days is alot of info! my friends nephew just did it can couldnt pass NREMT on the first try. and that was even with all the studying he could put in, which was a lot!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I understand that but to condense 130 hours into two weeks with 8 hour days is alot of info! my friends nephew just did it can couldnt pass NREMT on the first try. and that was even with all the studying he could put in, which was a lot!

There is no condensing, hours are hours. Outside of classroom hours have no effect on the class itself. 8 hours a day? Sounds like what most people work as a "normal" job. Everyone's learning style is different, many people (myself included) thrive in such a classroom environment. Focusing on only one subject (EMS) means there is little room for distraction and such focus can produce excellent results.

Incidentally this is how I am getting my undergrad degree...