Emt-B schools?

krave

Forum Probie
I am tryng to get into the Mt.Sac Emt class in the spring but I have heard its REALLY hard to get in because it fill up so quickly..I am starting to look at other options such as Central county rop,Pomona rop,La Puente rop.If any one has any info on these classes I would really appreciate it some of the info I have found is more than a little vague..

Does anyone have any thought or other suggestions on these programs.Do they compare with Mt. Sac.Also how do employers look at these compared to a college..

Thanks....Gary

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Accelerated classes are generally a bad idea for the most part. A lot of people- for some reason that defies logic- seem to have a hard time comprehending the vast* amount of information required in the EMT-B curriculum. These programs are cutting out or glossing over stuff and/or they don't care about their students passing because it is simply there as a source of income for whomever is operating it.

*-said sarcastically

OP
OP
K

krave

Forum Probie
CIEMT in Long Beach. 21 Day course if you take the accelerated class.

Yes I saw that and thought about it But I thought it was probadly to much to fast for me to.Plus I work and it looked like it was a everyday thing which is fine but if I didnt get a job quickly I might be in a bit of a pickle...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
if I didnt get a job quickly I might be in a bit of a pickle...

In California, you should completely remove "if" and "might" from that thought process. Welcome to the worst place in the world to be an EMT in terms of finding a job. You're pretty much SOL and JWF.

tiffany9902

Forum Crew Member
I took my EMT course at Tri Cities ROP in whittier.... it was a good course and it got full fast...

tiffany9902

Forum Crew Member
Starting off IFT company is where you try to get your foot in the door cause CARE or AMR want at least 6 months in the field before thinking of hiring.... and having your Ambulance Driving Cert. will help you out more... but good luck with the course, out of 29 people in my class in June only 4 of us passed NREMT right now...

Rsion4191

Forum Probie
Accelerated classes are exactly what they are.. ACCELERATED. I can speak for CIEMT myself because I took that program & have gone back for CEs/general questions/you name it. & They've always given great help.

The course itself is RIGOROUS. It's accelerated. It's tiring. & It's expensive. But, it also boasts the one of the highest NREMT passing rates compared to the rest of the nation. Just my two pesos.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
But, it also boasts the one of the highest NREMT passing rates compared to the rest of the nation

Do you have any independent corroboration of this or is that just something they use as a sales pitch?

OP
OP
K

krave

Forum Probie
I took my EMT course at Tri Cities ROP in whittier.... it was a good course and it got full fast...

How does the class work do they get you ride alongs or anything like that or is it only classroom work?Any details that might help me get a idea of what to expect would be very appreciated..

Thanks..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
After I finished my EMT class I was never asked what college or program I attended. All that was done was a skills test and a written test to make sure I was where the company wanted their employees to be at.

Yes AMR does like to hire people with experience but that's not always true. 6 of my friends got hired with AMR right after EMT class with no experience of any kind.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
How does the class work do they get you ride alongs or anything like that or is it only classroom work?

I absolutely wound not get involved with a program without organized ride alongs. That just seems shady to me.

E

EMRRx

Hands down, complete your EMT training within a college program. Yes, it will take much longer(2 semester/1 year = 9 units). The college course will have prereqs including, but not limited to the 3 unit First Responder course.

The First Responder course is 1 semester in length and will really get you started on the right foot. As part of this class you will also receive or renew your CPR for Health Care Providers which is required for the EMT program.

The college programs graduate far fewer students then the private programs, but those students that do pass the college programs have a much greater 1st time pass rate on the NREMT.

The College programs are also less expensive(9 units x 36.00/unit = 324.00 plus text books.

You do get out of an EMT course what you put into it. However, expectation and potential are much higher in the college programs. Thus, the higher 1st time pass rates on the NREMT.

As far as a jobs, if you were doing the hiring and all other noticeable factors being equal, who would you choose to work for your company?
The truth is, 99% will choose the college grad.

Are there great EMT's out there that attended private programs. You better beleive it!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hands down, complete your EMT training within a college program. Yes, it will take much longer(2 semester/1 year = 9 units).

You've got to be kidding me? Two semesters for a course that is taught at a 4th grade comprehension level and is under 200 hours in 99% of places? That's freaking stupid.

The college programs graduate far fewer students then the private programs, but those students that do pass the college programs have a much greater 1st time pass rate on the NREMT

Any evidence to back this claim up?

tiffany9902

Forum Crew Member
How does the class work do they get you ride alongs or anything like that or is it only classroom work?Any details that might help me get a idea of what to expect would be very appreciated..

Thanks..

we had ride alongs with a few diff company, you pick and the hospital was PIH in whittier...