EMT-B San Diego Job

caityb

Forum Ride Along
I'm moving to San Diego Fall 2014 because my husband is attending graduate school. I am planning to take an EMT-B course Fall 2013 in Utah and volunteer in Utah for about 6 months before moving. Once in San Diego I would like to find a paying job. I have a ton of questions, so if you can answer any or all of them that would be awesome!

How long, on average, does it take to find an EMT job in San Diego?

How much do they pay?

How long are shifts at the major companies?

Is it difficult to get a California EMT Certification if I already have a Utah one?

I welcome any other advice you might have, Thanks!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm moving to San Diego Fall 2014 because my husband is attending graduate school. I am planning to take an EMT-B course Fall 2013 in Utah and volunteer in Utah for about 6 months before moving. Once in San Diego I would like to find a paying job. I have a ton of questions, so if you can answer any or all of them that would be awesome!

How much do they pay?

Is it difficult to get a California EMT Certification if I already have a Utah one?

From what other threads on this topic have stated:

It can take anywhere from1 week to over a year. All depends on how hard you try and if companies are hiring or not.

Normal pay is around $10 per hour.

Normal shifts are 12hrs.

CA only requires NREMT. So if you have that you are good to go.

Hopefully one of our San Diego members will be able to post and give more accurate information.

From what other threads on this topic have stated:

It can take anywhere from1 week to over a year. All depends on how hard you try and if companies are hiring or not.

Normal pay is around $10 per hour.

Normal shifts are 12hrs.

CA only requires NREMT. So if you have that you are good to go.

Hopefully one of our San Diego members will be able to post and give more accurate information.

The above is correct information, although the pay varies depending on the company. I was fortunate to get hired within 3 weeks of submitting an application by an agency that starts its employees at $10.00/hr.

Last edited by a moderator:

wirk242

Forum Probie

How much do they pay?

Welcome to sd. Here are some answers to your questions from a sd Emt.

Some time it can be hard finding a job. If your not picky on where you work maybe a few weeks.

Base Pay is from about 8.5 to 10.25 depending on the company. Some companies pay overtime after 8 some after 10.

Shifts vary depending on the company. 8s, 10s and 12s are popular with a few 24s out there.

If are a nationally registered Emt san Diego should have full reciprocity, so no additional classes are needed.

Advise, well socal is a different animal than Utah. 80% of jobs are non 911 transport emts. Pay is bad and you are an expendable employee because there are 5 schools that crank out emts in sd county. this is a stepping stone job and they know your just there for your "hours". Apply for rural metro and amr first then start applying at the smaller companies.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
If you can get some volunteer experience done in Utah, that should give you a small advantage over EMTs when applying for a job down here. Like Wirk said, because there are so many schools cranking out so many EMTs every year, the job market for EMTs is very crowded. However, it is a high turnover career; with many EMTs leaving for other cities, or continuing on to medic school or just quitting the career in general. If you have the experience and determination, you should be able to score a job.