EMT-B Ride alongs not going well

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
45 hours logged now...still only 2 contacts.
I started at 3:00 yesterday afternoon...All three stations were running calls all day long...MVA, chest pains, slips & falls, one guy got de-gloved by a garage door opener spring....
As soon as I showed up...nothing.
I was on until 9:00 last night ( I went with the crew to Station One for a meeting, and that took me past my scheduled 8:00 pm time)

Captain White Cloud rides again.:censored:

Come ride with me! On my last 24 I had 19 patient contacts. 15 of them were very short transfers, the others ALS emergencies and refusals. I don't want to see a PCR again for a few days. :)

Perhaps the key is to ask around and find a busier house or truck...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
Problem is, I work my normal job 50-60 hrs per week.
Fire/EMS policy is EMT-Basics can only ride from 0800-2000 M-F (no Holidays)
So that leaves pretty much right after my normal job until 2000. But with my wife and kids schedules, I can only seem to get Wednesdays and Fridays for ride time. But my EMT class is Wed nights (on winter break currently).

I had taken vacation between Christmas and New Years and got a good portion of my hours in there...but no contacts.

Tonight is calling for snow...I am hoping there will be some tones due to that and the Friday night commute. I am riding from 1600-2000....

Veneficus

Forum Chief
White clouds

The simplest solution is to come work with me for a few days.

You wouldn't be the first or even the second to try to postpone your vacation to see what happens next.

It is not a black cloud, it is more like essence of pure darkness when I am at work.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
I found that on the days i didnt think about wanting to catch a call was our busiest days. try everything you can to keep from thinkin about when youll catch a call...

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
Well, if I would have gotten there at 1500...I would be done with my contacts.
I got to the station at 1530 and both the Engine and the Ambulance were out. I waited in my car until the Engine got back at 1645. At least now I was able to get into the station.
The Ambulance gets back at 1715 from back to back to back calls. With the snow we got today, they were running all day long like this.
So, feeling good about the prospects, I get my stuff ready, and the turn out gear loaded.

NOTHING
I even stuck around until 2030.
Satation 1 and 3 had two calls each, at one point Station 2 was the only rig ready to run. 5 minutes after sattion 1 is back in service, they get toned out again.
bummer....

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The simplest solution is to come work with me for a few days.

You wouldn't be the first or even the second to try to postpone your vacation to see what happens next.

It is not a black cloud, it is more like essence of pure darkness when I am at work.
If you are serious, I'd consider flying out to Poland, lol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Idk what to tell you dude. I worked a 16 last weekend an saw 17 patients...

Average is 9 in a 12 hr shift.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you are serious, I'd consider flying out to Poland, lol.

You realize my (work)time is actually in hospital right?

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
See the rig on the right?...that should have been me:angry:
bilde

Last Friday....

clibb

Forum Captain
Our company has no policy on how long students can stay. It's up to the crew. I love having the students stay. There's no way you can get a lot of patient contact within 4-5 hours when we run most of the calls after midnight. If they are interested in EMS, I'll let them stay for 12.

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
Our company has no policy on how long students can stay. It's up to the crew. I love having the students stay. There's no way you can get a lot of patient contact within 4-5 hours when we run most of the calls after midnight. If they are interested in EMS, I'll let them stay for 12.

Can I ride with you?

hogwiley

Forum Captain
In rural areas its hit or miss. Do you get to do ER clinicals as well? At least with those you are sure to get some patient contact and practice checking vital signs, listening to lung sounds, and maybe giving a Neb treatment or two.

I wouldnt stress much about it, in my class we had some people who were black clouds and were constantly going on calls for cardiac arrests, serious MVCs, ODs and stuff. We had clinical objectives that were almost impossible to completely finish, but these guys did it, only to FAIL the testing at the end of the class. I dunno, maybe they picked up some bad habits going on so many calls.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
Yeah Dont stress theres plenty of that after you get licensed...lol. Yall are luck i wish we had snow like that. Its been 60 and stormin here...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
See the rig on the right?...that should have been me:angry:
bilde

Last Friday....

You'll learn that most MVAs suck...lots of paperwork. Not as cool as they look.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You'll learn that most MVAs suck...lots of paperwork. Not as cool as they look.
MVAs might suck, but an MVA when it's snowing cold and windy sucks even more. rain and wind at night is even worse.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
MVAs might suck, but an MVA when it's snowing cold and windy sucks even more. rain and wind at night is even worse.

Quote for truth. I was on a rollover Monday night. 30 degrees, raining, 7 or 8patients I can't remember which, transported 2...one had a possible ruptured spleen the other was a spanish only speaking autistic child so he went with mom by default because we couldn't get any sort of assessment done on him.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
My college ride times went like this (bear in mind I did the full course twice 'cos I screwed up the finals first time!!!)

After 111+ hours on the ambulance here goes: 7 chest pain 2 headaches 1 failure to thrive 4 falls 1 fever 4 altered mental status 2 respiratory 2 signal seven (deceased person) 1 abdominal pain 1 MVC (car crash) out of that: 2 red transports 20 green transports and 3 no transports (red=lights and sirens to hospital, green=normal transport....and there we have it

The other 90 hours I did I have no record of calls but they were similar to the above.

Note: We have to do 110 hours 911 ride-a-long and 10 hours ED, 2 courses done and I had 220 hours or so under my belt.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Come to NYC.

We did 1.4 million calls last year lol. Get you all you need in an 8 hour span.

Here in NY ambulance time isn't a requirement for EMT. Paramedic it is, but when I took my EMT 5 years ago all you needed was 16 hours in the ER :/