EMT-B Pay

phillystudent

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
For EMT-B's what's the starting rate out there? I ask because I'm looking to relocate and would like to go where they have the highest salaries for EMT's. Here in PA I've seen $12.00 and up. But I so want to get out of this area.

stay away!! 8.75 starting here...

in ma, a brandy new basic can expect to make anywhere from 10/hr to 17/hr depending on the service. the average would be 12/hr.

oh and you have to hore yourself out to the privates.

Stay away!.. Free in many areas!....

R/r911

$10.75 is the highest in my area for a Basic and that's AFTER a couple raises. Consider yourself blessed if you can get $12 starting.

18/hr for concerts and at the ski resort... 14-20/hr range for ambulance companies.

In Philly... you can find transport work in the $10-12 range... Once you go up the food chain and starts working 911... it gets a little better.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
in ma, a brandy new basic can expect to make anywhere from 10/hr to 17/hr depending on the service. the average would be 12/hr.

oh and you have to hore yourself out to the privates.

An unnamed service in western MA starts their EMTs at $8.25. 10-17 is a good range in Metro-Boston, and the model is that BostonEMS starts their basics at what ever other service pays their medics (~$18), and their medics at Mid-20s.

Good Luck!

Ohh, where do you find 17/hr starting in Boston? I'm starting to look at returning to the field part time, and I'd be more than willing to travel a bit to get an extra $3-4/hr (I'm currently looking into two transport companies that are within walking distance of my house in N. Quincy).

(side note: transfer is fine for me. I don't really expect a part time 911 gig if I'm only going to be there less than a year. Cool if it happens, but I try to be realistic)

the current day 1 starting pay at boston ems is 17 and change.

they dont do part time.

the current day 1 starting pay at boston ems is 17 and change.

they dont do part time.
They also require you to live in Boston. I don't anymore. Regardless of if/where I work, my ambulance work schedule will be formed around my lab schedule.

8 an hour out here. get your medic and you make more;)

When I was living in NYC a few years ago, it ran from $8-17/hr, depending on which company and type of work done, such as transports with a private company or either working FDNY/EMS or working the 911 system with a hospital. Where I currently reside in rural KY, it varies...it ranges from minimum wage (yes, you heard right, folks!) to about $8.75/hr. Money can be made with tons of OT on a regular basis, but you have to find the right service willing to dish out the OT-if you're willing to work it.

As Mikey said, get your medic. I plan on heeding that advice.

Personally, I think people like pro baseball and football players should be making our salaries and WE should be making $27 million per year.

Start at $10 an hour for AMR here in Las Vegas. There are very few openings for basics tho. 90% of our rigs are Para/EMT-I Teams. Special events pay more if you can find them.

When I was living in NYC a few years ago, it ran from $8-17/hr, depending on which company and type of work done, such as transports with a private company or either working FDNY/EMS or working the 911 system with a hospital. Where I currently reside in rural KY, it varies...it ranges from minimum wage (yes, you heard right, folks!) to about $8.75/hr. Money can be made with tons of OT on a regular basis, but you have to find the right service willing to dish out the OT-if you're willing to work it.

As Mikey said, get your medic. I plan on heeding that advice.

Personally, I think people like pro baseball and football players should be making our salaries and WE should be making $27 million per year.

Can I get a amen!!!!!

Brand new basics w/ Superior make $9/hr, AAS makes about 12/hr, Living cross 6/hr

$10.00 an hour is what I have found around in upstate NY! Good Luck

Philly... I just re-read your thread. Following the higest pay will also likely put you in an area with expensive costs of living.

I keep on having people tell me that Lancaster is a cheap place to live... but they pay low.

In my area (in fact much of IL)
If you are an EMT-B you ain't S*&T! (as far as pay is concerned)
You can expect minimum wage (7.50) at a full time service or less then minimum wage at a paid-on-call or vollie service
The highest Ive ever seen for a basic in IL is ten bucks an hour and they had some experience/age.

The reason is because many services (and Full time FD's )are going (or are trying) MEDIC ONLY

As for medic, Ive seen between 10 and 15, never higher then that.
(Unless they were desperate for bodies)

The reason is because many services (and FT FD's)are going (or are trying) MEDIC ONLY

EMS in IL doesnt make much. Now if you are a full time Firefighter/EMT in IL you can expect to start at about fifty grand before overtime with full benefits. Ive seen some earn more then 75 (but they were officers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back