EMT-B Job Forecast in Detroit, MI Area

Bella

Forum Ride Along
I would like to become EMT-B certified in the next few months; I am a student about to graduate with my bachelor's degree, but need to spend the next two years or so working in a capacity where I can gain the most patient contact and hands-on, applied skills. My only other consideration is paying the bills.

As I consider EMT-B as a potential option, my questions are as follows and I appeal to your advice and experience:

1. What is the job market in the general Detroit/metro-Detroit area for EMT-B's?
2. Who, if anyone, is hiring EMT-B's there, are they hiring EMT-B's or do they prefer a higher level of certification?
3. Is this a good time to pursue such a certification or would I be better off getting my CENA?
4. Can anyone recommend an estimate as to how long it might take to get an EMT-B job in Detroit (I have an excellent employment history)?
5. If I were hired as an EMT-B, would many employer's sponsor further training (EMT-I etc.)?
6. In your personal experience and opinion, would working as an EMT-B offer me the opportunity to gain hand's-on, patient-related medical experience and pay the bills?

Thank you for your time and considerate responses in advance. This is my first post so I apologize if I have made any mistakes.

zachogden

Forum Ride Along
1. Right now, great. DEMS is hiring 70, DMC is hiring, CEMS is hiring etc. there is a reason for these jobs always being available though...it is detroit after all, and not everyone can handle abused kids, stabbings, ODs and rapes for $8/hr.

2. See above. Lots of basic gigs. You can work transport all day, do more 911 or in between. Depends what company/muni or what part of town.

3. See above

4. Not long.

5. I know DMC is right now and I think CEMS might be doing reimbursement as well.

6. For the first part, what else would it give you? Sounds like you're looking at med school by the way that sentence is put together...Detroit EMS isn't exactly a "hey I'll just do this to get some pt contact experience" type of gig. This city has a big turnover for a reason. As for the second part...depends on how many hours you're willing to work and who for. DEMS starts $17/hr but some privates pay basics 8. Depends.

Anjel

Forum Angel
You won't have a problem finding a job. Someone is always hiring.

You probably won't find many companies that will pay for your education but a few do. Alliance mobile health reimburses 700 a year I think. After you have worked there a year.

Most likely you will start at the $8-9hr range. You have to have pretty much open availability if you want a full time job. A lot of companies do contingent and part time though.

CENA pays better most of the time, but you couldn't pay me enough to work in a nursing home and wipe butts all day. CENA and EMTs are very different educations.

Places to apply:

DMC
Rapid Response
Superior
Universal Macomb
Medstar
Star EMS (get in contact with me if you do)
Alliance Mobile health
Community EMS
Beaumont Medical transport (pays the well, no 911)
Concord

Do Not work for American Ambulance or HART Medical.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Bella

Forum Ride Along
Thank you, both, so much for your detailed and helpful advice.

I would like to apply to physician's assistant programs. I was originally the med school route but found that P.A. offers me a better lifestyle. As such my background is heavy in research with some basic, limited medical experience (I am a certified lifeguard and have experience assisting with CPR, first aid classes, etc.). For P.A. programs, however, hand's on patient contact is required, and the higher technical quality of the experience - the more I can learn - the better.

I know I will need to work a year or more to gain the kind of experience I need, and I would prefer to actually learn something about clinical medicine, not just check a box or write down how many hours I have worked. It sounds like I can pay the bills either way with CNA/CENA or EMT-B.

That requirement being met, my first preference would not be to work in a nursing home changing diapers and sheets. I have friends who do this and my first preference would be to work in a hospital, EMT, or other setting where I can actually learn more technically and medically. I love and need to be challenged and feel that I am actually learning something. I have seen in other posts on this forum the recommendation to look into becoming an emergency department technician (EDT) and I intend to pursue that as well.

I think at this point this technical element might be the difference between which certification I choose - which will actually give me the challenge and opportunity to learn (within realistic limitations of the job) that I am looking for?

jgw1981

Forum Probie
Good luck with everything! I am a paramedic with the company that has many joint ventures around the area.... and also finishing my undergrad for the eventual goal of PA school. At least when I was first breaking into the business, back in 2010, I applied everywhere, and took forever to even get a call back. I had to be aggressive at that to get a job. I couldn't tell you how the EMT-B market is now, but I know where I work (and the joint ventures, particularly in Taylor...) have BLS spots open. You will run a lot of IFT, particularly psychiatric and dialysis. I worked up at Star as a basic and a little as a medic, and it is a GREAT place to work. I only left for cheaper insurance, which where I work now provides at nearly zero cost for a family of 5. The basics where I work now, and their joint ventures will run. You will be busy from the time you start to the time you get off. You will start in the neighborhood of $10 and hour. DEMS is hiring, but don't plan on being in school while working there. You are theirs, and they will not work around your needs. You will see a lot of BS, but on the other side of the coin...you will see some things. Universal Macomb pays just above min wage. American Ambulance shut their doors, so don't worry about it. I worked at Hart for a few events before I got my real job, and my first check bounced...so take that however you like. If you have any questions, please PM me, I would be more than happy to help out!