EMT-B in the works

mtmb

Forum Probie
Just a friendly Hello to introduce myself. I'm currently about done with my EMT-B course and take the registry in March. I'm so excited to be doing this and can't wait to go out and be part of an ambulance crew. I see there are alot of discussions about pay. I haven't checked the pay around here but I hope it is to bad. I just want to really help people more than I'm worried about the pay. Although that does help. I hope to meet some new people who can give me an insight on my new adventure in life:):

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
well..welcome to the forum...and about the pay, at least in my opinion...a lot of FD, PD and EMS people do exactly do the job just for the pay...anyways good luck with your test(s) and finding a job

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You must be still living at home or be very independently wealthy. If anyone truly was concerned about financial gains in EMS there would not be anyone in it.

I can not fathom anyone that acclaims that they are really interested in EMS or any profession, not check into pay structure of a profession before entering it.

It is nice to say such statements until you are not able to pay for food or housing for your family and if you will notice most medics work multiple jobs to make ends meet. Do you really think it is safe for providers to work a 80-100 work week?

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

mtmb

Forum Probie
No I don't live at home or independatly wealthy. I figure I can't make any less than I do now. They have to pay at least minimum wage right. My hubby and kids and I get by. I'm sure when it is time for me t look for a job that pay would be a consideration.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually they do not have to pay minimum wage. One of the reasons I highly suggest looking into professions in depth.

EMS is exempt from many of the "normal" working hours and regulations that one is used to. Federal Labor and Wage Board has a special section just upon EMS and its interpretation is as simple as interpreting Greek.

For example one maybe working a 24 hour shift (which is common) and receives pay for only 16 hours and anything after midnight at a over time rate. The pay maybe based upon a higher hourly salary rate but if one was to divide that into per hour ratio, it may be only minimum to below minimum hour salary.

I know of Flight Paramedics (with all letters and credentials) that make $10.00 -12/hour. So one can see, it is not always a profitable arena in comparison.

It would be nice if one did not have to worry about financial means. In reality we do need to promote an increase in our professional salaries or we will never recruit educated personal that is needed.

Again, welcome to the site and to the profession....

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

mtmb

Forum Probie
Thank you for the welcome. I can see how they differ from regular labor regulations as you mention for the sake of 24 hr shifts in which is what they do in the sm. town here. Our cost of living here is so different than the bigger cities. Not saying that they aren't still under paid. You can make 30K-40K and be comfortable where most places that is considered poverty. Realize that there is absolutly nothing real exciting to do here either.

OP
OP
M

mtmb

Forum Probie
Just another note also. Do they not realize that is why there is such a shortage in the healthcare industries. I just don't get it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just another note also. Do they not realize that is why there is such a shortage in the healthcare industries. I just don't get it.

I'm sorry, I think I missed the memo that said that EMS providers were a shortage. With the 120 hour basic course and the 9 month paramedic courses, it seems that the "Help, I can't find a job" posts are vastly outnumbering the "I've been in the market 1 week and I've already got a job" posts. That said, there are areas that do have a demand for EMT-Bs. These areas (Southern California, for example) generally have a robust interfacility transport industry and those jobs generally pay more than Basics working for 911 (using the OC example, Lynch/Pacific ($10/hr when I left with normal overtime rules [1.5x after 8, 2x after 12] vs Doctors (~$7/hr, unknown overtime policy)). Mind you, $10/hr isn't very much below what medics in surrounding counties make and more than medics in other parts of the country.

Furthermore, going off of the recent thread regarding a few ambulance companies closing, it doesn't matter how much a company/service/agency pays if they can't at least break even without taking out loans.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thank you for the welcome. I can see how they differ from regular labor regulations as you mention for the sake of 24 hr shifts in which is what they do in the sm. town here. Our cost of living here is so different than the bigger cities. Not saying that they aren't still under paid. You can make 30K-40K and be comfortable where most places that is considered poverty. Realize that there is absolutly nothing real exciting to do here either.

Remember, where the average salary is $30-40K (I live in the same type area) EMT's are making about $ 25K or less it is always in comparison. In regards to shortage in health care, the old debate of volunteerism does come back up. Why pay for the cow, when the milk is free.

As well, not to downbeat the EMT program; but in comparison to any other health care profession it does not make or compare to anything except similar programs such as nurses aide, etc. Again similar programs do not have a shortage, rather the over abundance and thus the pay meets the demand.

We did not have an EMS shortage, until about 4 months ago. There is a real demand of Paramedics. Within the past few weeks this has caused a major uproar among EMS services and thus pay, etc. In the EMS education area, there is a downfall of students entering EMS as well. In the first time of 30 yrs, this is the first time one of the Paramedic courses has not met. The reason being many are no longer seeing the benefits of being in EMS.

Many are now realizing the demands, working hours, and pay is not even in comparison to other health care and even public safety employment. Why spend two years to make, just above minimum wage, as well many realize the foolishness of going to Paramedic school first then onto nursing school does not really save anytime or money. Unfortunately, the EMT programs are still strong and there is abundance of those, which dilutes the market more so.

I am a firm believer that EMT students should be fully informed before entering into the profession. It is much more beneficial to fully prepared and understand than to enter with false dilutions and then leave soon after entering the work force or never really entering after completion of the EMT course. For example, just read the forums located here from those that attend EMT courses and those that finally emergency EMS. Very few to none. Again, why I endorse to no-stop to Paramedic level.

I wish you luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
M

mtmb

Forum Probie
The need for EMS in not real open here either, as far as schooling goes I have 1 taking it as a bridge from first responder to EMT-B, another one taking for his job in an industry, another just simply for knowledge he is a paralegal, another including taking it to hopefully get on with a crew. Myself I wish to but if not that not going to break me as I already have job in the healthcare field.
Sorry if I affended anybody I didn't mean to. I meant healthcare workers in general. There is more to healthcare than just EMS. Don't take offense to that either EMS is a very important part of it all!!

OP
OP
M

mtmb

Forum Probie
Ridryder911-how did you decide you wanted to be in the EMS career field? I debate about going on to the Paramedic courses, but with my ride along crew suggest that it is easier when you work as an EMT-B first. I often think about going onto nursing school, but here we have a waitling list tell 2010. I don't know what to think, and realize I'm not a real young person either.