EMSA OKC/Tulsa

medic2100

Paramedic
Alright folks,

I need honest opinions and facts about EMSA. I am looking to relocate from Chattanooga to the mid west. I'm coming from a slow private 911 and I'm wanting the big city experience.

Any information is helpful.

Thanks

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I know a handful of people who work there/have worked there in the past.

Some love it, some not so much.

It was bought out by AMR, so it is a large corporation. If you have ever worked for a large corporate employer, then you should pretty much know what to expect.

The biggest complaint I have heard is there are no stations- so you post around all shift.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Alright folks,

I need honest opinions and facts about EMSA. I am looking to relocate from Chattanooga to the mid west. I'm coming from a slow private 911 and I'm wanting the big city experience.

Any information is helpful.

Thanks

I don't know anything about EMSA or OKC or Tulsa......

But in general, "the big city experience" is vastly overrated, IMO.

chriskundrock

Forum Ride Along
Talking with the recruiter, the relationship with AMR is mostly unseen. And as far as posting all shift, that's not an issue when you run 8-10 calls in a 12.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Oh, the cloying, rotten stench of the worst of AMR is omnipresent at EMSA. Check your messages- I left there a few months ago.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Talking with the recruiter, the relationship with AMR is mostly unseen. And as far as posting all shift, that's not an issue when you run 8-10 calls in a 12.
I wasn't aware they work 12 hour shifts. That wouldn't be too bad.

I work 48s. If I had to post for two days, that wouldn't be pleasant.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, the cloying, rotten stench of the worst of AMR is omnipresent at EMSA. Check your messages- I left there a few months ago.
I think it depends which operation you work out of.

From my understanding, some AMR operations are run very well.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think it depends which operation you work out of.

From my understanding, some AMR operations are run very well.
I actually enjoy working at my PT AMR place. Great education, supervisors that care about crews who try, half decent dispatch. It's easy to work there, well aside from the 10+ transports in a 12 hour shift.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I like my AMR ops. 24 or 48 hour shifts, benefits, management is great, really easy to get CEUs, and stations so no dreadful posting.

Woot woot.

RocketMedic

EMSA is one of those places where it's got potential but it's cool to be stupid.

The benefits and CE are standard. Management is, in my opinion, cap at and above the supervisor level. Pay is mediocre at best. Expect many broken promises. Equipment is newish but abused.

Biggest issue is that the management most definitely says one thing and does another. Stay well within the box and they will never notice you. If you are a good paramedic, they will notice you in a negative way.

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
Remi is right. The "big-city experience" is not all it's cracked up to be. But since you asked...

It's not a bad place to work. Perhaps not a place to make a career for most who work here but definitely one of the better AMR operations. It's also important to remember that there are weird differences between OKC and Tulsa for reasons no one seems to be able to articulate. For whatever reason, morale seems to be worse in the western division. From reading RocketMedic's posts, it seems our supervisors and management on the east side of the state are far superior, which is obviously a plus. I've never had any supervisor or manager do anything but support me and try to help however they can. They generally stay out of your hair and don't nitpick. I've seen more praise and reward than punishment. I've only seen people fired when they knowingly do wrong. One of the main problems is that local managers are still small fish in the nationwide corporation that is AMR. Even if they want to make a change, it has to be approved by higher ups which doesn't always happen. They seem to be doing what they can but they are limited in that capacity.

Despite my optimism, there are obviously problems. The fact that they offer a sign on bonus is proof of that. We're understaffed and not for lack of recruitment or positions. We hire constantly and can't keep up with attrition. They're paying $400 bonuses for every overtime shift for paramedics and rarely fill the roster. The top complaints are usually pay and the schedule. Newly certified paramedics can expect to be paid around $14.50/hour. I'm not sure what the bump is for experience but I'm more than willing to bet they're open to negotiation. This is, believe it or not, better than most other operations in Oklahoma. Or at least northeast Oklahoma. Your schedule will be 4 12-hour shifts per week and the bid on shifts is done in order of seniority, so hopefully you enjoy working nights and weekends. Also not helping is that there is a shortage of paramedics here so it's not particularly difficult to find another job. Even the Tulsa Fire Department will hire almost anyone with a gold patch. And with the somewhat new one day a week, paramedic to RN bridge, a lot of people are moving on to nursing.

If for some reason this still interests you and you'd like my perspective, feel free to message me and I'll answer whatever questions you have and go into more detail.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
EMTs are not allowed to attend calls there, correct?

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
Correct. There's a paramedic on every truck and they always ride in back. That's not to say you don't get to do anything, you actually do a lot if you're a decent EMT, but you're not technically ever in charge on a call.

RocketMedic

I always wished for some of those Eastern Division things. My EMSA experience was fun, but I wouldn't willingly repeat it either. So there I was, one early morning, mere moments after finding that my assigned truck was literally a bloody mess and that EMSA had no cleaning supplies at all- and Sonny Geary (head honcho) was walking about. When advised of the problem, Super-Leader simply replied "that's not my problem" and walked away.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
My experience was not so good as I would have hoped.

The academy can be challenging if one is out of state. That's a good thing because it keeps you striving to do well. Any questions I had everyone answered and they helped out.

On the streets was a different story. I noticed a resentment that some EMSA employees had for the OKC FD. FD was super cool & very professional. I believe in working together. I don't believe in "I'm in charge. Anything I say goes" attitude, which some EMSA employees had. An attitude was present towards hospital staff too. A lot of friendly RNs in OKC. It's a shame they get crap from some EMSA employees.

I felt the academy taught one way and employees did the opposite. Every company has these types of employees. It made field training very difficult for me. I was told I would be given a write up for a safety violation, due to the fact that I "Kneeled down to eye level of a psych patient and he could have punched you". I've dealt with many psychiatric patients before. The patient was not violent. He was calm with me as well as the police. He ended up being able to refuse, which was no biggie. I think his mom thought he was doing drugs.My preceptor changed his mind, and tore the write up apart. BTW, 2 safety violations calls for termination.

When I tried to do some TX, such as ETCO2 for a Pt who was hyperventilating, my preceptor removed it, threw it away and said "She doesn't need it" I was shocked and didn't know what to say.

I was told I couldn't use my hotel bills towards moving expenses. I was planning on working as an Intermediate, so I could get more experience instead of going full out Paramedic. I was new to the city and I was used to a Fire Based EMS system. I thought it would be good to do. I could be employed as a Medic, with Medic pay. Working as an Int would be 6 months. Then I found out I wouldn't get Medic pay for doing this.

I'm a diabetic and I am in excellent physical shape. I couldn't survive paying 800 bucks for Insulin with no insurance. Insurance doesn't kick in for 3 months!

All in all, I got frustrated. I love this career. I loved being busy. I believe they need to take a closer look at who they make a FTO. I understand they are short staffed. However, I think many people take the position for the extra pay. This wasn't a shocker. It happens at every company. It's frustrating.

Not sure why they make the classroom academy 2 weeks. Some large municipal EMS services have 3 month academies.

Would I go back? Perhaps. I'm getting my RN right now. I would love to work for the Trauma Hospital & Childrens Hospital FT.As I mentioned earlier, they have some very smart, funny & friendly MDs & RNs.

There is a diner right across from the EMSA training academy. Forgot the name.They have a great Chicken Fried Steak. Not something to eat all the time, especially for me. It is worth trying once.

I hope this helps. Your experience might be better than my experience. I would give it a shot if I were you. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll get some great experience to take with you on your journey in medicine! Good luck!

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Who was your preceptor? Mine was horrible as well- "I don't believe in pain medicine" was his thing. PM me.

CREMSON

Paramedic Hunter
Where in the Midwest would you consider? I know several companies that are hiring. PM me.