EMS Professional Organizations

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've been thinking about joining an EMS professional organization.... there are the ones I have found:

Does anyone belong to any of the above organizations (or another one), and has it been worth the money you spend to maintain your membership?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My state EMS association is the only one I'll pay out of pocket for. They've done a good job helping to provide organization for a group of smart chiefs and directors to effectively work with state and national legislators. They also run a buying co-op through a major distributor that reduced my last agency's disposables line item by 30% . As an individual member I also get the same pricing, not that I'm buying medical supplies but the deal from Grainger is worth the 40 bucks a year alone.

My work pays for an NAEMT membership but I am not sure what use it is to me...

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Perhaps it’s different for physicians, but for EMS unless you're employed by the group in question, you tend to get very little beyond a wallet card. Some of them offer various discount programs, usually with onerous restrictions. Some make mention of various types of assistance, most of which is readily duplicated in the EAP for your organization.

I belong to AAA. I have yet to find a club or organization that provides a better return on investment.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
If you're concerned about the advancement of your profession, find a PAC that supports it and support it financially.

Professional organizations, at least now, are groups of bureaucrats that use member dues for absurd agendas that at best do nothing to advance the profession and at worst introduce irrelevance. All in exchange for a sham "Journal" they send you in the mail. Oh, and they also somehow divine some goofy need for special certifications that cost money to maintain that add nothing at all to quality of care.

Then they'll endorse the political candidate that is running against the guy you want to vote for. Right after cashing your check.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
www.iafccp.org if you are a flight or critical care medic.
They are active in legislation.