ems pratical jokes

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
thread on another forum got this minset spinning. thought you folks might get a laugh and maybe have an addition or to

take either oral glucose or d50. run a bead from the groud, up the tire, across the body and into a door. leave a puddle in either the cab or pt compartment. wait. truckk will be FILLED with ants overnight(assuming you have ants in your area)

take a liter bag of saline, a drip set and enough tubing(you can use o2 tubing, just adapted to fit). place the bag under the rear tire(so it will be run over when the truck rolls forward). run tubing into cab and have it exit in some manner pointing at the driver. wait for the tones. sit back and watch...

take the grills for the heater vents out. fill with light powder(flour, baby powder etc). replace grills. turn blower on max. wait and laugh

turn battery master off. turn all lights and siren box on. wait for tones. eager driver jumps in and throws the master, lighting up the whole station and waking the dead

pull the master power panel. rewire all the switches so they dont correspond to the labels. replace panel. laugh

if the house has a drop ceiling, remove panel over intended victims bed. make small hole and insert tubing. run tubing from that room to adjoining room or anywhere you can control it from. attach either syringe or bag of saline. when vic goes to sleep, squeeze bag or syringe so a few drops come out. continue until person wakes up, then falls back to sleep. continue until device is located.

if person is a heavy sleeper, tie person down to bed. most easily done with a tarp(kinda loud) or sturdy blanket. lay blanket on victim and tie to bed posts

old standbys: tie shoe laces together. tie pant legs in knots.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
if person is a heavy sleeper, tie person down to bed. most easily done with a tarp(kinda loud) or sturdy blanket. lay blanket on victim and tie to bed posts.

My favorite is to sprinkle confectioners sugar on the sheets. It's practically invisible and the sleeper doesn't even notice it's there until body heat warms it up and turns it to syrup.

Also, those cool motorola pagers that keep the last call in memory are good for replaying tones at odd times. I used to use it often to get a phone hog off the phone at the station.

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Our SAR group has handheld radios that can tone out the pagers. On occasion after training or a search we will go to dinner or breakfast. Someone seems to always take their antenna off and set off the tones.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
tie person down to bed. most easily done with a tarp(kinda loud) or sturdy blanket. lay blanket on victim and tie to bed posts

In the fire service, this one is commonly used for negative reinforcement with people who cheese off the Chief to the point that the rest of the shift is paying the price for whatever the knucklehead did. The variant is that you cover the offender's head with a pillow and administer the negative reinforcement with bars of soap in tube socks to whatever ain't covered by a pillow. Not commonly heard of, and definitely a last resort, but highly effective. No, I've never been a participant :rolleyes: (and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
tin:
i dont agree with this and i'll tell ya why. thats not a practical joke. thats not constructive reinforcement. thats a beating, plain and simple. now, if theres a significant violation of a fraternal code(rescue me, tommy gavin, sleeping with a 9/11 widow etc), i can see it. but for pissing someone off, even the chief, thats far excessive. serious bodily harm could come from that. broken ribs(which could puncture a lung), liver damage, commotio cordis, the list goes on. thats just too far. i dont knwo about the laws in your state, but in mass, every person in the house that night could be charged with aggrevated assualt. its just a bit much

you got a guy in your house your crew doesnt like. not too hard to get him out. start with the cold shoulder routine. no casual conversation, just business. even that is delivered in minimilist sentences. give them the crappiest duties. no invites to social event: backyard bar b ques, poker night etc. if hes a screw up and the house capt agrees, demote him, suspend him, outright fire him. but beating the ever loving chit out of him doesnt fly with me

years ago, i was involved in a military youth program. i was on summer training in canada, training with their equivalent. i said something i shouldnt have said. it was was amounted to a racial slur, meant as a joke but was interpreted as an insult. the next day was hell for me. at least once an hour for anytime we were in quarters, the guys would come over to my rack and push the mattres up off the rack against the wall with me in between. they woulod continue to do this until an officer walked by or their arms got tired. they did this for a few hours. the progressed to coming over with brooms and would ram these thing into me for a while, not hard enough to really hurt, but less than comfortable. then the cherry on top. about 2130 or so, they came over and did the mattress thing for a few minutes, then dropped it back down and wrapped me completly in a sheet where i figured what you talked about was coming. instead they picked me up and carried me outside(took 4-5 of em, im a big guy) dropped me on the ground a dumped a 55gal drum of water on me. i got up and was pissed for a minute then realized i really deserved it. walked back inside and one of the officers cam by mere seconds later. saw me, one of the americans, in street clothes soaking wet. now i could have rolled on the guys that did it to me but i didnt. i looke that officer right in the face and said " i just got out of the shower. im america, we shower with our clothes on" he pretty much figured out what was going on but i guess realized we had sorted it out ourselves. i got points for that.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I just eat tacos and poot loudly in the rig. My partner is trapped, and has to suffer the wrath of my post burrito gas cloud!

Best prank ever! :p

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Not really a prank, but something pretty funny. One of the guys I work with used his cell phone to record the entire process of turning on an AED, letting it analyze, charge, then actually shock the patient. He uses that as his ringtone, so if it ever rings around medical personnel, people scatter trying to figure out what's going on.

YYCmedic

Forum Crew Member
1. Remove shower head 2. Fill with life savers 3. Laugh until it hurts because your partner cant wash away the sugar solution thats covering them until the life savers melt (avg 5-6 10 minute showers)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys are awful! That's as bad as removing all of the lightbulbs from quarters right before leaving your shift for the oncoming crew......:rolleyes:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I just eat tacos and poot loudly in the rig. My partner is trapped, and has to suffer the wrath of my post burrito gas cloud!

Best prank ever! :p
Remind me never to never feed you tacos!!:lol:

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
My instructor at school said that a long time ago when the ems agencys in our are had quarters, the medics would sometimes take all the furniture and put it on the roof for the next shift.

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
We used to sneak into the female bathrooms in the middle of the night and saran wrap the toilets. The girls just loved us for that.....

Epi-do

I see dead people
One night, we snuck over to another crew's station and filled the back of their truck with packing peanuts. No sooner than we finished and drove off, they caught a run. It was pretty funny to see them driving down the road with the student in back trying to hold one of the back doors partially open while shoving packing peanuts out onto the road.

Also know a crew that got into their truck only to find the cabinets emptied onto the cot and the cot hanging from the bars on the ceiling of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

natrab

Forum Crew Member
I have a few. Some aren't specifically for EMS, but they work quite well.

Classic: take the little rubber tube that refills the toilet tank (dunno what it's called) and move it so it's aimed out at the bowl pinched between the tank lid. When they turn around and flush it sprays right in the crotch region. Did it once to our rival station and went up second in to a call where one of them had a huge wet spot right in the crotch.

If you have individuals who get their own rooms at night, the old saran wrap and duct tape on the door works great (door has to open inward though). I usually put a layer of duct tape about knee level on first so it grips them as they come out. Then just clear wrap up to just below head level (so if they're a goober it doesn't wrap around their face and kill em).

This last one I didn't partake in, but it was pretty funny as I saw it after it happened. An ambulance crew found a dead racoon on the side of the road. They intubated it, set up a mock IV with a 50 bag, c-spined it to a cardboard splint and with an infant collar, and then somehow mounted it right behind the light bar on one of the other rigs so it was standing straight up over the light bar. The crew didn't notice for the longest time and I caught a glimpse of the road-kill machine driving around town at one point.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
One night, we snuck over to another crew's station and filled the back of their truck with packing peanuts. No sooner than we finished and drove off, they caught a run. It was pretty funny to see them driving down the road with the student in back trying to hold one of the back doors partially open while shoving packing peanuts out onto the road.

Also know a crew that got into their truck only to find the cabinets emptied onto the cot and the cot hanging from the bars on the ceiling of the box.

this is certaintly funny true enough but i would never do that sort of thing to a rescue that was inservice at the time. imagine if the call they got sent on was an arrest. they have to spend all that time just getting the truck in working order before they can even think about the pt. risky.

on the other hand of you work for a private transport company with a bunch of trucks and you did that to a truck coming in the next day, that would be different

Epi-do

I see dead people
KEV, I completely agree regarding the cot with all the contents from the cabinets on it. I wasn't a part of it, and since it didn't happen to me, it was pretty funny to hear about after the fact. Fortunately, the crew found it and was able to get the truck back in order before getting dispatched to anything.

As for the packing peanuts, well, that was retaliation for the open can of sardines under both seats in the cab, and the lidocaine jelly all over every single door/compartment handle on the truck and the door to our crew room. I was working OT, and my partner that night was quite the jokester, always trying to "get" someone.

On the other hand, I have a friend that is allergic to talcum powder and someone did the powder in the vents to her truck (they didn't know about the allergy). It wasn't pretty at all. Fortunately, she was ok, but boy did the crew that did that feel like crap! Just goes to show that you really do need to be careful what you are doing when playing practical jokes. You never know what could cause someone to get hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
true enough. have dont the packing peanuts gag to many a private car.

slawson

Forum Crew Member
thread on another forum got this minset spinning. thought you folks might get a laugh and maybe have an addition or to

take either oral glucose or d50. run a bead from the groud, up the tire, across the body and into a door. leave a puddle in either the cab or pt compartment. wait. truckk will be FILLED with ants overnight(assuming you have ants in your area)

take a liter bag of saline, a drip set and enough tubing(you can use o2 tubing, just adapted to fit). place the bag under the rear tire(so it will be run over when the truck rolls forward). run tubing into cab and have it exit in some manner pointing at the driver. wait for the tones. sit back and watch...

take the grills for the heater vents out. fill with light powder(flour, baby powder etc). replace grills. turn blower on max. wait and laugh

turn battery master off. turn all lights and siren box on. wait for tones. eager driver jumps in and throws the master, lighting up the whole station and waking the dead

pull the master power panel. rewire all the switches so they dont correspond to the labels. replace panel. laugh

if the house has a drop ceiling, remove panel over intended victims bed. make small hole and insert tubing. run tubing from that room to adjoining room or anywhere you can control it from. attach either syringe or bag of saline. when vic goes to sleep, squeeze bag or syringe so a few drops come out. continue until person wakes up, then falls back to sleep. continue until device is located.

if person is a heavy sleeper, tie person down to bed. most easily done with a tarp(kinda loud) or sturdy blanket. lay blanket on victim and tie to bed posts

old standbys: tie shoe laces together. tie pant legs in knots.

funny.. love it its great! thanks