EMS Pranks

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
I remember it was a lab class, and we had one of the shorter students hide in the manikin bag and as soon as the teacher unzipped it she jumped out and scared him haha he got a good laugh outta it too ;)

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
You know you have to have a sense of humor to being in this or any job. It helps with the stress. We should find at least one positive, within the things we do daily. I love to laugh and enjoy life. Life is too short. No regrets. Not one person complained when any one of us would play an occasional practical joke. It was more fun to see who and how the favor would be in return. I love my job and I am good at. I am responsible, and I know when the time is the right time to play a prank and who I can play one on. Lighten up people. Laugh with me and at me. For those that think pranks are a waste of time...I dare you to Laugh,

No I double dog dare you. :lol:

You don't need to explain your actions or defend your character. Little pranks are awesome ways to have fun, relieve tension, and enjoy the sense of brotherhood.

Obviously lasix in the coffee or nitro on the doorknob is way out of line, absolutely absurd, and not funny in the slightest. But the chocolate "cake" that was really a frost-covered balloon or sending a new EMT crew to the cemetery a few blocks down is great.

If you don't do pranks because you're too responsible, professional, or <insert alternate ridiculous reason here>, then fine. But there is nothing wrong with a harmless practical joke here and there.

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
When I was dispatching at night I sent a crew, BLS (both relativelynew); on a run 2 blocks from where they were already at: told them they were assisting the FD with a Mass Cal: multiple unresponsives. told Non emergent per FD request.
Gave them the SE corner of a major intersection (0330 on Sunday morning).
when they got there they said there were NO EMS or fire on scene, and no patients. took them about 5 min to figure it out. I sent them to the city cemetary

ROFLMAO! :lol:

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Whilst on my EMT course I played this prank several times: it involves a handheld CB radio (tuned to channel 1) and a scanner tuned to the CB radio's channel 1. I put the scanner, volume up and squelch right up, under the dummy on the stretcher. Standing over the otherside of the classroom I waited for one of my classmates to practise strapping the dummy on a LSB. As she started to strap him down the dummy started moaning and groaning, startled her to say the least. Second incident didn't go as well as I expected. We were outside practising vehicle extrication and I put my remote controlled whoopee cushion under the cushion of the stretcher. When the PT was finally out and put on the stretcher, theres me a little distance away pressing the remote in my pocket. Our instructor asked what the noise was and one of my classmates said he thought the stretcher was squeaking, so it kinda didn't work.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Have had the wonderful surgilube under the door handles done to me a couple times..
Best prank though was the time we put kool-aid in the supervisor's shower head.....he came out a-cussin......and PURPLE.....:)

OP
OP
slb862

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Don't take yourself so seriously...no one else does.

An EMS friend was building a house. His soon to be roommate and I were working a shift. My partner wanted to show me the progress on the new house. Went into the house to find the toilet had been installed, of course the water had not been turned on in the house. My partner left a present in the commode.

A Baby Ruth bar. :p:lol::eek:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Got him on a fire one night. I hit him with a stream from a 2" hose. it was always a competition to see who could soak him on a fire first.

Not funny.....Not funny at all. Especially on a fire scene. The only time you should ever turn a firestream on someone is if they are on fire. And then you don't blast them with a solid stream from a wide open two inch. (As I gather this poor dude got). I am not saying there is never a time to have water fights with the lines, but definitely not on a fire scene. I don't see how any officer could let this go on.

I can tell you this, if someone turned a two on me while on an active scene, you better hope I'm not carrying a halligan or an axe. :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
News channels here have scanners that monitor EMS/Fire/LEO channels so they can respond to the 'newsworthy' incidents.

The guy doesn't do it anymore but I guess a certain employee used to show up at priority 3/4 sick person/transfers at nursing homes and report, 'On Scene, assuming IC' to get the news all riled up and when they'd show up the rig would be long gone haha.

This isn't something I would do but I thought it was funny.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
News channels here have scanners that monitor EMS/Fire/LEO channels so they can respond to the 'newsworthy' incidents.

The guy doesn't do it anymore but I guess a certain employee used to show up at priority 3/4 sick person/transfers at nursing homes and report, 'On Scene, assuming IC' to get the news all riled up and when they'd show up the rig would be long gone haha.

This isn't something I would do but I thought it was funny.

That is rather amusing. :D

When I used to work IFT, we had one or two that would make the same kind of statement over the dispatch radio. Only the dispatcher (for the company that used Nextels) or the dispatcher and the other units (for the company that used a licensed common channel) would hear it, of course, but it was still amusing.

TexasRattler

Forum Ride Along
Ok so now we know nevada has NOTHING going on hence why the news covers priority 3/4 sick persons =)) just thought i'd throw that in there....and i agree...there is a time and place for good pranks even at work...but like someone said b4..don't make the prank bad enough where the person can't do his/her job properly...now i did do the nitro on the door handle of my preceptors car when i was doin ride-outs.....but he didn't get it til after shift was over....That was my first among MANY MANY pranks...all in good fun