EMS Oxygen Responder Kits

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Are there certain brands that EMT's like to use?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sure there is as soon as you explain what an oxygen responder kit is.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
something like this:

101185%20rescue%20backpack%20wO2%20R200%20web.jpg

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, only thing I carry in my car is gloves, and a SMALL very basic kit (bandaids, gauze, etc) if my husband hasn't stolen it. Basically just enough to get me by for the 8.59 minutes til EMS has a chance to get there, and they're usually MUCH closer. The oxygen is what's left in my lungs.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The waterpark I used to work for used a large, one strap Iron Duck bag (I can't find the model on their website) for the primary response bag. It worked well for what we needed it to do. My only complaint was that the splints and c-collars were loose in the bag, so they always got left on scene or in first aid if we needed to move a patient (we tried to meet EMS at the employe break lounge instead of the middle of the park).

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
None..............

I like having my portable tank were I can immediately access it, not stuffed in the bottom of a bag. Not to mention a jump bag + a filled oxygen tank = one heavy a$$ bag. Weight is an enemy of mobility. Mount it to the stretcher or put it in a stand alone carry pouch, but I personally hate the "O2 in a bag" concept.....................

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
You're right mikie, we don't know. But, well, my service doesn't ask us preference in bags. For what it's worth, at work, the O2 is mounted on the stretcher, fire does use, I think the exact bag he posted, and like Flight said, that thing is HEAVY

firecoins

IFT Puppet
None..............

I like having my portable tank were I can immediately access it, not stuffed in the bottom of a bag. Not to mention a jump bag + a filled oxygen tank = one heavy a$$ bag. Weight is an enemy of mobility. Mount it to the stretcher or put it in a stand alone carry pouch, but I personally hate the "O2 in a bag" concept.....................

totally agree. I can't stand it.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The OP is a salesman for a medical supply company. I'm not sure he was referring to the bag. My Airway bag is used a lot. Its nice to be able to have combi-tubes, airway adjunts, masks, cannulas etc in one spot with a small bottle.

JPINFV

Gadfly
None..............

I think they have their uses, though, just not in EMS. At my ambulance job, it was attached to the gurney and I have been known to just take the tank off the gurney if we couldn't get the gurney in to the patient on contact. Alternatively, if you are working a first aid style job, the vast majority of patient contacts and responses are not going to require oxygen or a medical bag. If I've been advised that it's something like a sprain, I'll just take wrap, an ice bag and my waist pack, and leave the big heavy bag in first aid. On the other hand, if there's a major medical situation, it is nice to be able to put a backpack on, grab anything else I might need (back board, AED, etc) and start making my way to a situation. Sure, if there's another park employee right outside, I could always grab them to help carry stuff, but that's not always the case.

On a side note, I'd advise anyone setting up oxygen for a personal first aid kit to invest their money at the local community college or university extension office.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our service had put O2 in packs, in holders, and in nylon pouches that hung on the gurney. At the end of the day I liked my O2 canister with nothing on it.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
We have green O2 bags. I like them,, they hold airways, masks, an the bottle.
That along with a Iron Duck jump bag, for BLS. On ALS units we have an additional Pacific Emergency Products blue bag for intubation and IV equipment.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
For EMS I can't stand my O2 with a jump kit. I like it to be in its own bag, that covers the bottle, and a pouch for airways and masks. In a jump kit for EMS is just not good, it's heavy and that's not what we need.

For first aid, or standby at events these are nice. Like JPINFV said the majority of "calls" don't require O2, but for the 1 in 50 calls that do, it's nice to have the O2 and the jump kit all in one, less to cary espically if you have a backboard and AED and stuff and no one to help you with all your gear.