EMS media?

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
any good EMS documentaries or movies out there? the only thing I could find was some crappy 70's movie/show called Emergency!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Crappy ? .. Geez the best television show that ever portrayed EMS as a profession, not to say that it was the reason Paramedics was ever started as a profession. It was estimated that over 70% of Paramedics in the seventies and eighties was inspired from that "crappy" show. Now consider how many instructors cam from that and so on...

I guess you never have seen the TLC "Paramedics", or "Trauma Center".. etc.. which is much better the old Rescue 911 (which I have been on them) .. not that glamorous.. trust me. Thank goodness "Turd Watch.. I mean Third Watch" or "Saved" (I guess you did not see those either) was cancelled. As well you have never heard of "Bringing out the Dead", with Nicholas Cage?... You must be real young..

There was supposed to be a new show that had real time with an EMS crew, but I think it got canned, from the boredom of real life...and no one wanted to see granny with diarrhea going to the hospital...

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I feel a history lesson coming ... Airwaygoddess, where are you?!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My eyes have been scorched by reading such BLASPHEMY!!!!

Emergency crappy???? WTF????

Oh my head hurts, what is becoming of todays youths???

Sorry I am speechless by reading that one comment...I must go now.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I think you need to give emergency another chance. I have the dvd collection and love it. It's pretty neat to see what they were doing back then (ex. 12 leads). Johnny and Roy are heroes of mine even if they are fictional.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I think it got canned, from the boredom of real life...and no one wanted to see granny with diarrhea going to the hospital

lol, yep, I wouldn't watch that either.

Which rescue 911 episode were you on, I'd love to youtube it.

I'm glad to hear saved got the boot, now that was crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I guess you never have seen the TLC "Paramedics", or "Trauma Center".. etc.. which is much better the old Rescue 911 (which I have been on them) .. not that glamorous.. trust me. Thank goodness "Turd Watch.. I mean Third Watch" or "Saved" (I guess you did not see those either) was cancelled. As well you have never heard of "Bringing out the Dead", with Nicholas Cage?... You must be real young..

Dude, seriously. We need to keep you away from the television for a while.

Although it would be pretty easy to make an exciting show about EMT Life... just strap a helmet camera to EMTPrincess and turn her loose! :-D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
When we filmed the Rescue 911 episode (it involved a runaway car with a kid in it, and a woman attempted to stop it and got ran over during the process) they would not let us film it at the original site. The producers got irritated because my partner (now a ED physician) refused to "run" to the ambulance and to the patient. So they speed up the film a little.. looked like a Charlie Chaplin film...lol

I flew an eviscerated bowel into a Trauma I, and I knew something was up, because a couple of friends of mine that was ortho residents met me at the pad... (which, NEVER happens!) When I asked why ? They then described that TLC was there. Ironically, it was just was one poor Eastern Indian girl who did the filming and reporting....Funny thing, I personally have never seen it, but, most of my peers and family have.. of course nothing like being viewed by millions with a helmet head hair-doo!...LOL

Back to the topic.. The ultimate EMS movie.. Mother, Jugs and Speed..LOL

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There are no good Paramedic programs. I was watching code blue or some medical show in the E.R. Medics basically did nothing while the E.R. did everything that medics normally do like intubation.

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
I like Code Blue on Discovery Health.. Wish I had known about Paramedics on TLC when it was still running....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There are no good Paramedic programs. I was watching code blue or some medical show in the E.R. Medics basically did nothing while the E.R. did everything that medics normally do like intubation.

Couple of reasons why..
First, majority of U.S.A. is still has basic life support as there primary level of care for EMS .. Second, if you are referring to a medic intubating in the ER? Why should they allow them to ? They have a physician and medics are probably not allowed to perform in-house procedures.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Couple of reasons why..
First, majority of U.S.A. is still has basic life support as there primary level of care for EMS .. Second, if you are referring to a medic intubating in the ER? Why should they allow them to ? They have a physician and medics are probably not allowed to perform in-house procedures.

R/r 911

paramedics did nothing. The ER staff aka the doctor did everything medic normally do. The show pointed out specifically that they were paramedics. Either the show was wrong about the who did the procedure or the show was wrong about them being paramedics.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
any good EMS documentaries or movies out there? the only thing I could find was some crappy 70's movie/show called Emergency!
First and foremost, can you be any more rude to the older generation of EMS folks here:glare: Because of that "crappy" show you are referring to, has launched thousands and thousands of hopes and dreams that have come true in the fire and ems service. I have personally met Randolph Mantooth, he has nothing but the utmost respect for Emergency Medical and for the Fire Service! It was this show that opened up the world of EMS to the public and gave it the very start of respect and professionalism that is so rightly deserved. I would STRONGLY suggest that if you have an opportunity to speak with a "seasoned" paramedic or EMT, ask them why they when into this line of work and who their mentors are. You wil be very suprised, and I would hope you will learn something from it.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Although it would be pretty easy to make an exciting show about EMT Life... just strap a helmet camera to EMTPrincess and turn her loose! :-D

Please tell me you didn't just say that, are you sure you really want to see the footage... ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_emt
Please tell me you didn't just say that, are you sure you really want to see the footage... ;)

LOL...totally PG-ish...I'd wear that camera. You'd get plenty of drunk homeless guys feeling me up, city cops standing back with arms folded watching as I pin someone to my stretcher with a knee to the throat so my partner can tie'em up (personally, I think they are checking out my rear-end, but they haven't admitted to that yet), generally at least once per shift someone bleeds all over the back of my truck - even if it is from my putting in an IV and not holding pressure good enough, stroke alerts, cardiac alerts, trauma alerts...

And with the crime scene my hair is looking like these days, nobody would even notice the camera there....

And hey..I loved Third Watch...if only our FF and LEO's rear-ends looked half as good as those guys!!

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
And hey..I loved Third Watch...if only our FF and LEO's rear-ends looked half as good as those guys!!

Wouldn't so much share the opinion on the "rear ends", but I did/do Love watching that show. (I have all seasons on DVD!)

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
(personally, I think they are checking out my rear-end, but they haven't admitted to that yet)

yes, well ems does have the best contingent of a**es found in any profession....must be the pants.....

1emtpants2.gif