EMS Liason Position

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I was speaking with a friend of mine recently that was recently promoted into the position of EMS Liason at his hospital. He says that it's a relatively new position within EMS that's enjoying rapid growth. It's mainly found in hospital based EMS depts, but can be found in muni EMS depts as well, I suppose.

The job is basically handling issues with road crews, issues between EMS and the various hospitals within the health system, ensuring effective EMS IFT delivery, scheduling ride alongs with county 911 for EMT and medic schools, PIO duties, and a good many more things that I can't recall at the moment. I know my explanation of the job description leaves much to be desired, but a quick google job search should make things more clear. As far as education, that can vary by region and by health system. Some may want an Assosciate's in EMS, but many will likely require a four year healthcare degree such as an BA in EMS, BSN, or Emercency Management or Healthcare Admin.

I think that it's a wonderful opportunity for career advancement and also a way to get off the road and not have to work nights consistently. We all know that any opportunity for career advancement in this field is sorely needed. Time to get your college on!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a pretty standard position out here. Most Liasons that I've seen are RNs with ED experience, usually in that particular hospital. They are awesome, awesome resources.