EMS Job Positions

RC25

Forum Ride Along
Ok, I have heard that in some states, if a paramedic can not find an open position as a paramedic, they can drop back and work as an EMT-advanced without a seperate license. Does anyone know if this is true or not?? Is it true in TN and AL??

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't see why not. It's going the other way (practicing above your level of credentialing) that would be an issue.

OP
OP
R

RC25

Forum Ride Along
EMS Positions

Ok, I have heard that in some states, if a paramedic can not find an open position as a medic, they can drop back and work as an EMT-advanced. Is this true?? Is it true for TN or AL?? Thanks

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It makes sense. I have never heard of it, and I think the problem would be keeping proficient in your skills. That being said, I know in Washington, you can only work to the level your agency will sponsor you to. For example, I am an I-85 (Ok....well now with name changes I am a WA State Advanced EMT....but whatever). But until things changed about a year ago, my fire department would only sponsor me up to EMT-B. Even though I work on the ambulance as an EMT-I, when working for the FD, I had to work as a basic.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=24784

Dear and fuzzy Lord! new people, stop making the same thread in multiple forums. To answer your question, call the county or state EMS office in TN or AL, in CA, yes you can work as an EMT if you are a medic. There are hundreds of people doing this in SoCal alone while waiting for the job market to pick up.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Threads merged. OP, please don't do that again