EMS Instructor!!

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
What are the basic requirments to become an instructor? I know it just comes with experience but there has to be more to it? Is it just choosing the best of the best or can you take extra courses?? I know there must be some instructors out there or someone who knows more than I do...Hahaha but that is not saying much there :p

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I would think that every state is different. Check out your state's EMS website. If you can't find any help there I'd call them. And/or you can find an instructor there locally and ask him/her.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
This topic will open a huge can of worms. Mainly becuase there are very little in the way of requirements in a lot of places.

In Missouri it is really no exception. I can tell you I had 16 years of EMS and tons of teaching hours before I landed a full-time teaching gig.

Most places around here look for 2 years of experience and attendance to a 40 hour Instructor Workshop.

I think the requirements for teaching should be a degree (or equal experience) plus proof you posess the knowledge to teach the material.

I know a lot of people that are smart as hell but can't teach a class worth a darn.

Guys like Rid have the experience and knowledge we can all learn from.

FF894

Forum Captain
Here, when you are in medic school they usually expect to you to help teach the EMT course now and then. I also teach quit a few CPR and First Aid classes. I also teach publice fire & life safety education and the SAFE program. I have found that teaching keeps me on my toes.:)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I saw this initial thread, and waited a long time to respond. Don't most states mandate a rigorous instructor/coordinator program? I know Michigan does, and then you have to not only pass the NR test for the course you're teaching, but also an I/C test. Then instructors have to do I/C CEUs to maintain their cert.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Matt, Matt, Matt.. oh how I wish that were true.... In Missouri it's just a 40 hour I/C course.... I don't even remember a test at the end, but that certainly doesn't mean that there wasn't.... no specific CE's to continue it.. basically keep up your EMT or EMT-P license and your I/C status is golden.