EMS in Texas

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Texas is one of those states where you've got a drastic variability in what services carry. A few miles away from those ETMC medics is a whole new set of protocols.

Yep. I know in 200 miles I saw the most drastic changes in protocols (where I used to work in TX vs where I did paramedic school in the el Paso County system.
You also have such drastic changes in scope of practice it's ridiculous.

BTW: Does anyone know if MedStar still uses that stupid agree/disagree to filter candidates on initial application? :(

Last edited by a moderator:

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I worked for a private EMS service in Texas that is now paying their EMTs 15/hr and medics 19/hr. but their trucks are crappy

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked for a private EMS service in Texas that is now paying their EMTs 15/hr and medics 19/hr. but their trucks are crappy

West Texas? If it's Airsplat in Pecos or El Paso County area, all the private services out that way are pretty crappy (not even touching the mess that is the IFT market in Odessa)

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I've heard crappy things about NM hospitals from a buddy of mine it's said when the doc at the ER asks flight medics and nurses to help them read the X-ray

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've heard crappy things about NM hospitals from a buddy of mine it's said when the doc at the ER asks flight medics and nurses to help them read the X-ray

Depends which hospital... Some of the smaller, community hospitals, yea I can see that. St V's, The U, Pres, and Lovelace... not so much.

Oh yea, and does that company still have magnetic logos for their rigs. I was in Pecos right when that company started up. We laughed when we would transfer to Medical Center because each crew member would be in a different uniform.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
No they got rid of those I left that company and went to another one which was alot nicer and when their trucks broke down took them out of service and had them fixed ASAP.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how crack med is able to pay their staff that much

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
No they got rid of those I left that company and went to another one which was alot nicer and when their trucks broke down took them out of service and had them fixed ASAP.

Sounds like Carrol's. They weren't a bad service from what I heard when I lived there.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Do not, under any circumstances, go to Life Ambulance El Paso.

El Paso Fire is recruiting for paramedics. FF/Medics.

Fort Stockton is pretty well-paid.

Champion, ETMC, Guardian, etc.

EMSA-Oklahoma is hiring and has a $10,000 bonus.

Refino827

Forum Probie
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how crack med is able to pay their staff that much

I about crapped myself when I applied and saw the minimum for a basic is 32 to 40K, it's drastically different out here in New Mexico ha. I'm hoping I get into Med Star, I've been waiting for them to open something up. Plus I've got family over there so it'd work out great. I noticed Arcadian Ambulance had a posting for a $5K bonus in San Antonio and Houston as well. Not sure if the offer is only to medics, or if it's still valid. But when I applied there it was still listed.

txmedic07

Forum Probie
Anyone know the average pay for a paramedic with AMR in Dallas operation. Any other specifics appreciated as well, other than IFT, I know thats what they primarily do in Dallas.