EMS in Texas

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anyone know the average pay for a paramedic with AMR in Dallas operation. Any other specifics appreciated as well, other than IFT, I know thats what they primarily do in Dallas.

Check with Linuss, he used to work for them. All I know is the operate out Farmers Branch and seem to mainly service HCA North Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
When I was there as a baby medic back in '10, I got started at $13.51/hr. No clue if they've been increasing that or not. The normal shift was 2 days one week, and 5 the next. My shift was T/Th, then T,Th,F,S,Su

Before I left they were saying they'd be getting power stretchers for the field crews... lo and behold when I ran into a Dallas crew a few months ago in my area, they had them. Having said that, when I was there we had 2 LP12s that the EMTs on BLS trucks LOVED taking because they wouldn't have to do BPs, and the medics tended to get stuck with LP10s and LP11s. No idea what their current inventory is like.

They have the Collin County and Hunt County 911 contracts... if you're on an ALS truck, it's not uncommon for you to migrate up to Collin County if they're level 0. And although they have Arlington, you'll never back them up from the Dallas operation (MedStar in Ft Worth does their mutual aid)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yep. I know in 200 miles I saw the most drastic changes in protocols (where I used to work in TX vs where I did paramedic school in the el Paso County system.
You also have such drastic changes in scope of practice it's ridiculous.

BTW: Does anyone know if MedStar still uses that stupid agree/disagree to filter candidates on initial application? :(

What is the agree/disagree thing, out of curiosity? J/C

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What is the agree/disagree thing, out of curiosity? J/C

It asks you questions and you have to pick if you agree, slightly agree, neutral, slightly disagree, and disagree as your answer to the question

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
BTW: Does anyone know if MedStar still uses that stupid agree/disagree to filter candidates on initial application? :(

As far as I know, yes, but it is no longer a pass/ no pass test. It's one of several things that they take into account, but isn't weighted greatly.

Last I checked on it (which admittedly was over a year ago, no need to once you're hired :lol: ) they were looking at getting rid of it as they say it disqualified too many good potential applicants.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As far as I know, yes, but it is no longer a pass/ no pass test. It's one of several things that they take into account, but isn't weighted greatly.

Last I checked on it (which admittedly was over a year ago, no need to once you're hired :lol: ) they were looking at getting rid of it as they say it disqualified too many good potential applicants.

Sweet. I know I probably got disqualified on it. I hate those things and always do poorly on them. Even when I actually try to tell the truth on them lol

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sweet. I know I probably got disqualified on it. I hate those things and always do poorly on them. Even when I actually try to tell the truth on them lol

You must have forgotten who you're talking to. I may or may not have had someone else potentially maybe help me on it somehow in a way possibly. :lol: I tried answering it truthfully. Fail. Tried lying. Fail. Tried middle ground. Fail. I swear, it changed each time.

But like I said, it's not a pass/fail anymore. You just need a certain amount of points by the end of the process to get an offer... which includes the agree/disagree, the knowledge test (which will kick your ***), and the interviews (knowledge and basic interpersonal) You got it bro. Use me as a reference if you have to :p

As an aside, they sure didn't leave the Paramedic opening up for long this time, did they?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You must have forgotten who you're talking to. I may or may not have had someone else potentially maybe help me on it somehow in a way possibly. :lol: I tried answering it truthfully. Fail. Tried lying. Fail. Tried middle ground. Fail. I swear, it changed each time.

But like I said, it's not a pass/fail anymore. You just need a certain amount of points by the end of the process to get an offer... which includes the agree/disagree, the knowledge test (which will kick your ***), and the interviews (knowledge and basic interpersonal) You got it bro. Use me as a reference if you have to :p

As an aside, they sure didn't leave the Paramedic opening up for long this time, did they?

Lol I remember that. And no it got taken down quick. I'll keep my eye out for another. I've got a lot of places to apply for soon

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'll have to give you a heads up the next time I hear of it going up for the public.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
So just to gain some more experience, I am thinking of joining one of the volunteer ambulance services in my area, however one of the medics who is elderly can't walk well just sits in the back of the truck during calls and makes the other crew members bring the patient to the truck. Do y'all think this is right? Should I join it still? My instructor at school thinks they are a "joke" I really want to get more experience but can't seem to get hired on anywhere unless I have my medic.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
EMSA...it's a great place to start and be paid decently. OKC and Tulsa...

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
New medic here looking for first medic job. Live in Cali looking to move out. What area of Texas and companies should I start applying to? Looked into a few of the ones listed in here. Any good place to start? Want primarily 911 if possible.

Ps I hate the heat but tx seems like a great spot for a medic

terrible one

Always wandering
New medic here looking for first medic job. Live in Cali looking to move out. What area of Texas and companies should I start applying to? Looked into a few of the ones listed in here. Any good place to start? Want primarily 911 if possible.

+ 1

Although, I am looking around the Austin area (or within an hour drive) other than ATEMS and WilCo, what are some decent companies near Austin?