EMS in Fairfax county VA

Correct me if I am wrong, and maybe it is just me. But aren't vest periods for 401k(s) going away? Most Companies have right away contributions with matches.

Pensions still have a vest

I'm the wrong person to ask. I haven't worked FT or PT for a 401k/403b employer for over five years. Only per diem, where they don't offer a match.

The standard used to be a 6% match, but now I'm seeing 2-3% at best in a number of places. I see the match advertised on job announcements, but not the vested period. I'm probably just too lazy to do the extra work to find the page with the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know what you find. I'm a 7+ year medic; I wonder what they would pay?

It's worth mentioning that their 401k match is moot if the employee doesn't work there for the entire period to become vested, typically five years. If not, you only get back your contribution, and RAA keeps their match.

This was the email I got from RAA, after I emailed asking about retirement and Pay for experience.

Thank you for your interest in Richmond Ambulance Authority. Regarding your questions below, pay for Paramedic experience would depend on several things. An example of the things we look at would be the system(s) you ran in (how busy, is it 911 etc...). In addition, your years of experience worked as Paramedic.

You are correct in that we offer a 457 Plan. Our company matches $.50 on every $1.00 up to 6%. An employee is fully vested in three years.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Kimberly S. Akers, PHR

I know this is old but what are the salaries and jib market like in Virginia Beach for AEMT's?

Back