EMS/FD/PD Refusing Patient Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
A few years back, in Aug of 2009, I was involved in an MVA, motorcycle vs. car. PD happened to be re-fueling at a gas station nearby and was first on-scene, followed shortly by FD & EMS. Because I was going in excess of 40mph before coming to a very swift and sudden stop :blink: :blink: EMS needed to strip me. I had no real problem with this, as I assumecd that my modesty would be preserved. After finishing the initial assessment, I was left in naught but a bra and panties on the blacktop in 100°+ temps for more than 10 minutes. Traffic was directed to drive around me, but my near nakedness was in full view. I made several requests to be covered, each was denied. I was not even allowed to have my cut off clothing draped back over me.

I was just wondering, is this something that happens often? Would you leave an injured woman in her undergarments w/o placing something to preserve her modesty while she was in full view of traffic? The worst of my visible injuries was a pretty gnarly-looking case of road rash down the left side of my body, from chin to shin.

Also, I informed the EMS, PD and FD on-scene of the fact that when I first opened my eyes after skidding to a stop, the sky appeared to be bright green and the over-hanging tree appeared to be bright purple. I also told the same to the docs, nurses, and x-ray techs. I never recieved any scans other than a basic x-ray of my shoulder, ribs, and knee. I know I'm still *just* a layperson, but green skies and purple trees indicate some type of head trauma, minor though it may be. What do you all think?

Anjel

Forum Angel
No Medical Advice
To ensure the safety of everyone, EMTLife participants are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Participants seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.

Sorry..

But a for the first part. That was wrong of them to do. I really dont see leaving a person nearly naked laying on the ground in traffic. Are you sure it was 10 minutes? Or did it just seem like a long time?

You shouldn't of even been on scene that long really.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
First off, I want to apologize if I came across as seeking medical advice. Not my intention. :oops:

I'm fairly certain I was laid out for a length of time. My accident occured at about 3:55pm and I didn't get to the hospital (less than 10 minute drive w/o LS) till almost 4:30 pm. Also, I counted probly 10 cars driving by at a "rubber-neck" speed.

(in case anyone is curious, this incident was a big part of my decision to go into EMS)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Your patient care report and police report and any other first responder report is available to you. If I had any questions or concerns I would have obtained these long ago, but they are still archived if you want to go through the effort.

Aside from that, no one here was there so we can not speak to why things were done or not done as we do not know the extenuating circumstances (if any).

What you experienced is not typical but without those reports or firsthand accounts there is not much else you will get here nor should anyone offer any thing else.

Congrats on moving into EMS and good luck!

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
ideally you should have been covered, however I have no idea how many other patients they were tending to or what other circumstances were involved. At the very least you now have a patients point of view and will be that much more attentive to preserving a patients privacy when practical.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I don't think there is any excuse to not preserve pt dignity. There isn't anything that should stop at least someone on scene from grabbing a blanket and covering this young lady. Sounds like inattentive, incompassonate providers.

EMT-Tony

Forum Probie
Seems like a long time for the pt. to be on scene and futher more just layin there chillaxin on the blacktop.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I personally don't remove clothing from a trauma patient, male or female, until they're in the truck unless something precludes that and requires it removed sooner.

But I'm also not in a habit of questioning the calls of other providers without having been there myself.

You say "skidded to a stop"... motorcycle?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow such incompetence is mind boggling. Yes there is a time to expose and examine with trauma cases, but on the hot road is not an appropriate place, especially for a female, especially in full view of everyone. I cannot believe this kind of thing goes on.

Sometimes you can't help it- such as a female cardiac arrest in a public place would most likely require shirt + bra removal, but steps could be taken (other people holding up sheets etc) to preserve dignity and privacy.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wow such incompetence is mind boggling. Yes there is a time to expose and examine with trauma cases, but on the hot road is not an appropriate place, especially for a female, especially in full view of everyone. I cannot believe this kind of thing goes on.

1) Why is it any more inappropriate for a female than a male? Don't know about you, but I typically don't want my junk waving in the wind any more than a female wants hers.

2) Again, we don't know the specifics as to why aside from one persons testimony, who at the time was a lay-person.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It's official

No Medical Advice
To ensure the safety of everyone, EMTLife participants are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Participants seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.