EMS doesn't have an actual paramedic shortage....

VentMonkey

Family Guy
There are civil service non-fire single role paramedic jobs that pay well and offer good benefits, but lets say that system is inner-city and runs its crews into the ground (I'm sure someone knows which systems these are).

Would most people be able to do that for 20 years, and a pension? By most I mean enough to keep up with supply and demand making any true shortages (barring pending retirements) null and void.

That's where my point remains that it's got to be more than just funding, equipment, and money alone. Clearly staffing plays an even bigger role, otherwise there wouldn't be "infinite overtime" in more systems than not. Why can't we hold the public more accountable for system abuse? You want to improve relations between some EMS and LE departments, why not actually enforce laws against people unnecessarily calling more than once in day for benign reasons instead of just saying go with the ambulance (not an LE bash, just an example).

Even without spending semesters worth of school learning paramedicine I still don't see why there can't be larger focuses on public service modules and how to deal with what we see more than the "classic" paramedic school modules.

It almost seems like we're fooling our future medics by giving them all this training, and knowledge only to prepare for some things that aren't treated all that often. Again, I'm not saying that the curriculum as it stands has no validity, only that it's in dire need of an overhaul to ensure we stop pumping out false heroes, and the like.

I can't think of too many other occupations aside from the public services where we go into something only to find out it's in fact not a whole lot of what you actually do. It's just easier to walk away when you're hardly committed to your local F & B ambulance company, and that's not changing anytime soon enough.

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Would most people be able to do that for 20 years, and a pension?

Probably not, no, but I don't have the data on this.

Staffing is...a tough issue, at least, ethically. Practically, less so.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Staffing is...a tough issue, at least, ethically. Practically, less so.
Correct, but I can't help but think the former is directly related to the latter.

Practicality won't yield longevity or desire, but knowing what you're getting into from the very beginning at least gives you a better understanding, which I think may help with the ethical aspect.