EMS Changing Names

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
Not sure what to make of all this. Some people want to change EMS, since a lot of care being provided, like intrafacility, paramedicine, etc, is not really emergency.

Take a read and comment. IAFC is against it.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
The fact they recommended something specific, paramedicine, was good. Not three or four different titles. However, since EMS started as an emergency service with EMTs and EMT-Paramedics, leaving it as is is ok in my mind.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I work at a place where the ambulances say "Paramedic Services." I like it, but I am not sure that the public gets it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I think we are making more about this than we need to. EMS is the profession (on par with FIRE department and POLICE department, a short word that looks great on the back of a shirt and quickly identifies who you are, and gives the reader brief idea of what you do), while Paramedicine is what the profession does (which is described as any healthcare medical delivery agency prior to arrival at the ER, often in an emergency situation or in between facilities).

Remember, back in the day we were all EMTs. the Paramedics were EMT-Ps. Than there was a push to change that from EMT-P to NR-P, to differentiate between EMTs and Paramedics. And, of course, we are all still just ambulance drivers.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
In the rest of the world you'll just find it's called "Ambulance". To us "EMS" has always been a strange American term.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
If the IAFC is against it i am for it without even reading anything. I like the idea

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I can't be the only person that thinks this:

NATIONAL EMS ADVISORY COUNCIL COMMITTEE REPORT AND ADVISORY Current status: FINAL as of August 15, 2017 Committee: Innovative Practices of the EMS Workforce Title: Changing the Nomenclature of Emergency Medical Services is Necessary

is a solution looking for a problem. I'd think there are way bigger fish to fry in the realm of pre-hospital care and if this much effort and resources are available for what amounts to a high end public service announcement, then the commonly discussed issues facing the industry are either not as serious as advertised or they're just not as important anymore.

Any industry is capable of dealing with multiple issues at one time, but this just seems gratuitous. But, whatever.....

Summit

Critical Crazy
If the IAFC is against it i am for it without even reading anything. I like the idea
Yep. Always a good bet if you care about professional advancement of prehospital care.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If that’s the biggest discussion point, no wonder EMS is so screwed up across the US...