EMS and taking pictures of incidents...

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I think its incredibly tacky and in poor taste personally!

And, our company does not allow it. No questions asked, its a terminable offense.

And honestly, does a picture of wreckage help a doctor treat a patient more than briefly describing the incident?? Am I missing something here??

Right. Lets never take pictures during an incident to learn how we can do things better, or to document any strange and unusual happenings.
Let's just describe it in detail. :rolleyes:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I think its incredibly tacky and in poor taste personally!

And, our company does not allow it. No questions asked, its a terminable offense.

And honestly, does a picture of wreckage help a doctor treat a patient more than briefly describing the incident?? Am I missing something here??

Have you ever been on the scene of a realy horrible MVA where the vehcile is so twisted that you couldn't believe that it was once a car? And have the pateint literally walk away and without a scratch. Could he be lucky as sin. Usually. But even if I can't see anything wrong with him, I know the the MOI was there to kill him. I want him to go to the hospital, as any good pateint advocate would. When I get ther the Hospital staff may look at this as a BS deal, and it may be. But as an advocate for my patient I might want to show the Doctors exactely what he survived in the hope that if something is wrong wiht the patient, the hospital staff would look at the scene, take it seriouosly, and be able to catch any problems. Some Doctors, in fact, have become used to pictures and like to know what happen to there pateint. This is an extreme case, but others exist as an argument for cameras on scene, not that I advocate it or would be taking pictures when I have patient care to focus on.

On teh other hand, I understand why many companies disallow it. Howevr, consider that all the insider pictures that grace the inside of EMT and other medical tesxtbooks came from somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you ever been on the scene of a realy horrible MVA where the vehcile is so twisted that you couldn't believe that it was once a car? And have the pateint literally walk away and without a scratch. Could he be lucky as sin. Usually. But even if I can't see anything wrong with him, I know the the MOI was there to kill him. I want him to go to the hospital, as any good pateint advocate would. When I get ther the Hospital staff may look at this as a BS deal, and it may be. But as an advocate for my patient I might want to show the Doctors exactely what he survived in the hope that if something is wrong wiht the patient, the hospital staff would look at the scene, take it seriouosly, and be able to catch any problems. Some Doctors, in fact, have become used to pictures and like to know what happen to there pateint. This is an extreme case, but others exist as an argument for cameras on scene, not that I advocate it or would be taking pictures when I have patient care to focus on.

On teh other hand, I understand why many companies disallow it. Howevr, consider that all the insider pictures that grace the inside of EMT and other medical tesxtbooks came from somewhere.

Strong relationships are needed between EMS providers and ER staff so that when you transport someone into the ER you can convey to them the severity of damage.

As far as the pictures in medical text, im not sure but I believe they might need the patients permission.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Years ago Polaroid actually had a "EMS" documentation kit. It had fell out of popularity due to privacy laws and confidentiality. Can one be sure that they focus on one patient per camera angle? Is there detailed protocols & procedures to ensure that the photographs are embedded only into the patients chart and then original destroyed.

As well, who has the time to take the pictures when care should be performed? Kinda hard to show how the patient was before tx. and explain that a pic was taken before tx was given.

I believe we have outgrown the pic phase. Most physicians can understand "high speed" MVC.

R/r 911

EMTDave

Forum Ride Along
I think as long as there is no patient in the picture and that taking the picture does not interfere with caring for any patient(s), then I think that it is alright to do.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I think as long as there is no patient in the picture and that taking the picture does not interfere with caring for any patient(s), then I think that it is alright to do.

Think so?? Here is one EMT who lost his job and there was never a patient in the photo!! EMS providers need to establish very clear policies that govern the taking of any scene photos. Without it... don't take it!

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/articles/Missouri_EMT_Terminated_Over_Photos.html

EMTDave

Forum Ride Along
I understand what you are saying and agree completely. I need to just clarify what i meant by my previous post. Im not saying at every scene take a picture, im just saying when it may be appropriate in help determining what exactly happened then you should be allowed to take a picture with certain restrictions. I dont think that any of the pictures should be used for humor use with friends or be placed on facebook or sites like that, just to be used with your fellow crew members, nurses and doctors.