Employment Advice VA

lilbeddoe

Forum Probie
I am a fresh nremt-p I am moving to Norfolk Va, before I get down there I'd like to have a plan of some kind. I know there are a lot of fire-based EMS, which im open to. If anyone could give me some insight as to getting my foot in the door, I would be greatly appreciate it. I would like to secure a paramedic position somewhere.

Thank you in advance.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I am a fresh nremt-p I am moving to Norfolk Va, before I get down there I'd like to have a plan of some kind. I know there are a lot of fire-based EMS, which im open to. If anyone could give me some insight as to getting my foot in the door, I would be greatly appreciate it. I would like to secure a paramedic position somewhere.

Thank you in advance.

It's a hike, but as an EMT-P you can get hired up in NOVA. Medics coming off of internship (23 week fire academy plus 6 month ALS ambulance only internship) are making around 72k/yr. That money goes real far down your way. We actually have people that commute from VA beach, Norfolk, and Williamsburg. Our schedule is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off.

Edit: NOVA is just a couple of hours from southern Jersey. I'm fron NY, and it takes me under 5 hours to get to Queens.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I don't know anything about jobs in the norfolk area, except that I heard that Newport News (FD) is hiring right now.

If I had to get a job quickly down there without knowing what was going on in the area, I would try and get a tech job in the ER first, so I could evaluate the different agencies. I have always wanted to work in a busy ER just for a little while, knowing it was a temporary job. I would pick Norfolk General or King's Daughters for that purpose.

Please know that you don't want any job that commutes with rush hour headed west on 64 between Williamsburg and Richmond. Absolutely NO. I had a partner that did that commute for the 0730 truck for a while and he was late fully a third of the time, even with a 45 minute cushion.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

Thank you in advance.

I live in Norfolk, and work with several FF/Medics at the local children's specialty hospital (ER). I also work as a single role medic in Richmond.

I know that Hampton and Norfolk Fire/Rescue are currently screening applicants. Richmond Ambulance Authority is also another option, if you are not opposed to commuting regularly (which I don't recommend) on I64 east/west. MTI (Medical Transport LLC) is pretty much always looking for Paramedics for their IFT operations, and they pay pretty darn well. Lastly, you can probably land a job in any of the surrounding hospital ERs if that appeals to you.

Here is a list of the local medical facilities... all within about a 40 mile radius of Norfolk

Riverside Regional Hospital
Mary Immaculate Hospital

Sentara Healthcare
Norfolk General Hospital
Virginia Beach General Hospital
Leigh Memorial Hospital
Bayside Hospital
Princess Anne Hospital
Bell Harbour

Bon Secours
Maryview Medical
Depaul
Harbourview

CHKDHS
Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter's

Hit me up with an IM if you want to get in depth

Forum Ride Along
A year later....

Thank you in advance.

Hey lilbeddoe, just searching the site for info on EMS in VA and found this old post. Wondering if you found employment and what the EMS community is like if you did.

Thanks for your time.