Emerson N-SAR Rescue Knife

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I post this picture not to poke fun at the OP, but to point out there is a TON of gear out there that is advertised as being made for or invented by some SEAL or Delta operator, everything from slings to knives to "Perfect Pushup" contraptions. I once bought a rifle sling supposedly designed by a SEAL that turned out to be needlessly complicated (how on earth does one manage to make a sling complicated in the first place??) and had excess webbing and straps that constantly got caught up in my other kit and was generally just a PITA.

IMHO, the knife described by the OP sounds more like something designed for Air Force Pararescue Jumpers than for the SEALs. Personally speaking, if I was with a small 12 man team going behind enemy lines and every ounce was vitally important, idk if I'd choose a knife designed to cut clothing and not flesh over one that can do pretty much whatever I needed of it if I found myself in a survival situation with just my pocket folder on me. Just saying..

Awesome image.

I've never cared for real fancy multitools or knives. I have been in the market for a fixed blade for rescue use, and it'll probably be a diving knife under $30. Get you something that has a sharp edge, a serrated edge, and good steel, and call it a day. No need for brand names.

This whole thread could equate to the use of the Leatherman Raptor. $50-$70 for a pair of glorified trauma shears, get a knife for the seatbelt (or try before you pry). I've had teammates jealous of my $5-pack-of-3 trauma shears from Amazon, and know a guy who hated himself for losing a pair of Raptors on a search. What happens if/when this rather expensive knife gets lost? The pricing on this NSAR is getting into handheld GPS range, and those are gold bricks in wilderness SAR. I'm not saying the knife is overpriced or not good, I'm just saying that there may be a more practical option.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Awesome image.

Haha yeah, I love the Bob on the Fob comics, too bad there's only a handful of them out there.

When I was a young E3, E4 on my first couple of deployments I was a bit of a geardo myself, spent wayyy to much money on random bits of kit that looked cool in the store but never actually got used. By my third trip to the sandbox after I got my stripes I was more worried about what was the minimum amount of stuff I could get away with wearing lol

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Usually starts off with 1 guy in the unit who fancies a new brand of boot or some crap- but doesn't want to buy it himself.
So he rants and raves about it to the team until another guy who DOES love to spend his money on equipment buys his own...intitial guy then uses this to bring to the stores senior NCO and tells him- this is what all the guys want, its awesome.
Stores order is placed and said kit gets used for one tour. During next pre-op training a few months later a new type of super boot comes out and the cycle starts again lol...

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I post this picture not to poke fun at the OP, but to point out there is a TON of gear out there that is advertised as being made for or invented by some SEAL or Delta operator, everything from slings to knives to "Perfect Pushup" contraptions. I once bought a rifle sling supposedly designed by a SEAL that turned out to be needlessly complicated (how on earth does one manage to make a sling complicated in the first place??) and had excess webbing and straps that constantly got caught up in my other kit and was generally just a PITA.

IMHO, the knife described by the OP sounds more like something designed for Air Force Pararescue Jumpers than for the SEALs. Personally speaking, if I was with a small 12 man team going behind enemy lines and every ounce was vitally important, idk if I'd choose a knife designed to cut clothing and not flesh over one that can do pretty much whatever I needed of it if I found myself in a survival situation with just my pocket folder on me. Just saying..
I've already mentioned twice that there is a lot of gear that's advertised as being used by special forces, and I even described how they get away with it. That's not the case here. I never said that this knife was used by SEALs or any special forces, so I'm not sure how that statement seems to keep getting read when it was never written.

This knife was not designed for SEALs, it was designed for the Navy's search and rescue teams. Go back and reread post #10 for the explanation of how and why this knife was designed.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Those that don't get it about Emerson's never will. That's ok. Ernie' s knives aren't for everyone.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Those that don't get it about Emerson's never will. That's ok. Ernie' s knives aren't for everyone.

Im not doubting the quality of the blade, I was alluding more to the fact that the word SEAL has been used probably the same amount of times as the knife itself in this thread lol......

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
Im not doubting the quality of the blade, I was alluding more to the fact that the word SEAL has been used probably the same amount of times as the knife itself in this thread lol......
So what are you getting at? If you don't feel the need to buy this knife then don't lol....

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
I'm 'getting at' the points I've previously mentioned in the thread....

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
That knife could buy about 10 units of community college education. I heard that seals go to college too. So tactical.

Or PHTLS. How often do you really encounter people in a SAR setting that are magically tangled in all this webbing?

MedicX

Forum Ride Along
Came across this thread while trying to find an article that I had read a couple of years ago on the Emerson SARK. Gotta say, I was let down to see a forum that is supposed to be about like minded individuals treating a member like an idiot. Not a good first impression.

First off, the OP never tried to persuade anyone to buy or say that they needed the NSAR. Simply put, he was proud of his purchase, and especially so because he is a fan of Emerson Knives, and the fact that there is a tool out there by a company that he likes that is duty specific...

Emerson knives are very well built tool, knives, etc. No, they are not for everyone. To each his own. I personally love Emerson knives and swear by them. I did not always like them, and before I knew a whole lot about knives, said I would never own one because I thought they were ugly.

For those that doubt the hx of the tool mentioned in this thread, do some research. Continue to use your shears, and Gerbers, or whatever. Don't down someone because you think they spent too much on a knife or the like.

As I've learned, most of the people that run their mouth about how much someone spends on a tool, are usually the people that end up asking me for mine down the road when their cheap China made version fails. Go ahead, take a look at your pocket knife real quick... open it and tell me what type of steel it is... Or does it say Made in China?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
image.jpg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
As I've learned, most of the people that run their mouth about how much someone spends on a tool, are usually the people that end up asking me for mine down the road when their cheap China made version fails. Go ahead, take a look at your pocket knife real quick... open it and tell me what type of steel it is... Or does it say Made in China?

I had this long and arduous novel post typed out, but I decided to keep it short and sweet. Im not putting down the OP or the knife, his money he can do/ buy whatever he wants, just don't shove it down out necks. I have no need for a knife that price with all the gadgets and gismos on it. Im perfectly fine with my cheap $5 trauma sheers from amazon that in 3 years in EMS have only used a handful of times, and my "mercian" made gerber knife (don't know the steel guessing 440). If I need to cut a seatbelt my sheers will suffice, after all they don't call them "penny cutters" for nothing ;)

Edit: Why this thread has been resurrected it beyond me. But I thought I would chip in my 2 cents on this matter.

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
Cool knife, but why doesn't it have a glass breaker? My NRS pilot knife on my backpack even has that, and it's mostly made to saw through fiberglass.