Emergency Hypnosis for First Responders

Aman Berry

Forum Ride Along
Emergency Hypnosis for First Responders

Hypnotherapy is a powerful proven tool that is currently being used to improve thousands of lives. My vision is to provide a simple step by step procedure that first responders can use when they arrive on scene to manage and reduce symptoms of shock and disassociation, increase a feeling of trust and security in the victim, and decrease the awareness and severity of pain. The reason that this is possible is because the state of being traumatized is in itself a powerful trance, so the application of basic but powerful hypnotic techniques is highly effective

What follows is a step by step procedure based on the principles of hypnotherapy/nlp that is easy to use real time in the field. These techniques are to be applied after the victim has been stabilized or when you get better you can use these techniques real time during initial conversation with the victim. Consider this a powerful addition to your trauma toolbox. It is simple by design and allows you to use your own words as it is not realistic for a first responder to remember all the principles of hypnotherapy during a high stress event, so just follow these steps.

After establishing control of the scene and doing the required medical procedures, match the victim's general body language and posture and say something like; “ I’m here to help you, the worst is over. Let's do a helpful visualization, that can take your mind to a better place”... avoid negative words like pain or injury
After asking for and repeating their name this is the basic outline of the hypnotic script to be said to the victim, “What I need you to do now is, on your next exhale close your eyes and focus on the point between your eyebrows on your forehead, ( if you are able then you can put the tip of your index finger on the point between their eyebrows and hold it there for a bit to help them focus it can quite effective) hold your gaze there and as you do that imagine your favorite color”, then ask them, “what’s your favorite color?” when they answer repeat back that color verbally.
Now that we know their favorite color, we have something that naturally brings pleasant feelings in their body which we will use that in calming them down and get them ready to accept positive suggestions about healing. Follow this pattern with the victim after establishing their favorite color “ The next step is instructing them to imagine breathing that color through every cell of their body, with each inhale they breathe in that soothing and calming healing color and on the next exhale they will see themselves exhaling all things holding them back from that color.”

At this point they will be in a state of hypnosis which means they will be calm and relaxed as well as hyper suggestible. Now you can use the hypnotic technique of Direct Suggestion to get them to believe on a subconscious level in their own ability to get through it. An example of a direct suggestion is as follows. “See how much calmer you are now, when you look back at this in two weeks you will see that you didn’t need to be that worried at all”

Aman Berry CHT. 206-406-6253

Youtube Demonstration of Technique

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Hypnotherapy is a powerful proven tool

Dude, what. You cannot make this claim without high-quality evidence - like, you know, RCTs. Heck, if you could find me a single well-conducted observational study, I'd be willing to read further. But failing that, come on, man.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
suspicious_fry.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aman Berry

Forum Ride Along
Sorry I forgot to mention my sources. I recommend looking at the work of David Snyder, Brent Baum, and Gerald Kine for more research. Specifically the Gerald Kine's work on emergency Hypnosis. this can be found at omni hypnosis. com. It is also based of the work of Brent Baum, and David Snyder. All these people have multiple documented successes. I will link a couple

https://www.udemy.com/emergency-hypnosis-training-for-first-responders/learn/v4/overview

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@Aman Berry, "multiple documented successes" is the lowest-quality evidence that you can provide.
After all, the plural of anecdote is not data.

FWIW, I use emergency hypnosis all the time. I call it "the stare of life". Look into my eyes, GOMER, I will heal you with my magical BLS powers of taking blood pressures every 15 minutes and prophylactic 2lpm O2 by NC.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I've found that just talking to people when they're shook up works wonders. If it is that bad of an event that they are really hurting, I probably don't have time to talk about colors and boop their nose. Talk to them and reassure while I work? Yes. A bunch of extra stuff that doesn't help patient care or help me get things organized for the ED? No.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Honestly, I merely glanced at the OP's original post. I too have no clue what the funk is going on here as of late.

That said, I agree with @StCEMT. I also tend to do a lot of reassurance with a simple hand on the shoulder. In flight this works wonders as the patient often can't hear what you're saying, and may be anxious nonetheless; yes, this would include the intubated, sedated patient.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've found that just talking to people when they're shook up works wonders. If it is that bad of an event that they are really hurting, I probably don't have time to talk about colors and boop their nose. Talk to them and reassure while I work? Yes. A bunch of extra stuff that doesn't help patient care or help me get things organized for the ED? No.
I read that at first as when they shoot up... I need some sleep lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6408.PNG