Emergency Cricothyrotomy or Tracheostomy

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes sir, for both Cricothyrotomy or Tracheostomy you need Med. Control to advise you to preform these procedures.

Guess that would vary by department, state or whatever.

As Rid said, I have never had to call for orders on that kind of thing due to the time factor. It has always been a standing order in all the states and jobs I have worked in.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Guess that would vary by department, state or whatever.

As Rid said, I have never had to call for orders on that kind of thing due to the time factor. It has always been a standing order in all the states and jobs I have worked in.
Ours i knd of a department thing since they are rarely used in the area.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ours i knd of a department thing since they are rarely used in the area.

They are rarely used anywhere, which is exactly why it should be allowed and be a standing order for that rare occassion when you do need it.

Low need for something so important is not a great excuse for not providing something. IO's, OB kits, Mag Sulfate...so on and so on are rarely needed or used yet we have them for that rare occurrence.

Not bashing you, just commenting on the illogical justification.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
They are rarely used anywhere, which is exactly why it should be allowed and be a standing order for that rare occassion when you do need it.

Low need for something so important is not a great excuse for not providing something. IO's, OB kits, Mag Sulfate...so on and so on are rarely needed or used yet we have them for that rare occurrence.

Not bashing you, just commenting on the illogical justification.
that's OK its not my policy.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
IO's not common?

We do IO very regularly. EVERY cardiac arrest gets one, muti systems trauma, uncon unk-etiology, etc.

Really? Why is that, practice? At 90$ a pop, seems like a lot of expense if you already have IV access. What is the IO giving you that your IV isn't? If you don't have IV access, sure, but for EVERY arrest, multi system trauma and uncons, seems a bit excessive.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
IO's not common?

We do IO very regularly. EVERY cardiac arrest gets one, muti systems trauma, uncon unk-etiology, etc.

Seems a bit extreme and very cookbook. I will not rehash the education argument in this thread but it is what I am hinting at.

I men seriously, go back and reread what you wrote. EVERY arrest?? EVERY Unconcious UNKN etiology...WTF???